How to troubleshoot segmentation fault in C++ matrix initialization?

• C/C++
  • Thread starter Facktor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fault
In summary, the problem is that the stack space is not large enough, and increasing the row size will not fix the issue.
Facktor
I've declared an unsigned long long bidimentional matrix:
Code:
//(...)
typedef unsigned long long int64;
//(...)
row = pow(2,17);
col = 200;
int64 Z[row][col];
Z[0][0] = 12345678;
When the program is initializing Z[0][0], I got a "segmentation fault" message. The Insight Debugger suggests the segmentation fault is on the line
Code:
Z[0][0] = 12345678;

I have no idea how to solve this, since I don't even know what the problem is. I mean, I thought "segmentation fault" was supposed to indicate a memory issue. And I can't see any problems here.

I'm using Linux (Ubuntu) - g++ compiler - and the "Insight" debugger.

What can I do to fix this?

Thank you, guys!

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Hi Facktor, welcome to PF :smile:

I expect that your problem is your amount of stack space.
Depending on your compiler it's not always possible to simply declare arrays that are this large.
In that case it needs to be dynamically allocated.

Try:

Code:
//(...)
typedef unsigned long long int64;
typedef int64 Row200[200];
//(...)
row = pow(2,17);
Row200* Z = new Row200[row];
Z[0][0] = 12345678;

The error is not the line before the line where you got the segfault. Your computer / language implementation doesn't have 800 megabytes of memory on the stack. The error manifested as a fault on the first line where you tried to use that non-existent memory.

Edit:
I like Serena beat me to it.

Listen to what is going on inside my head.
Humm... Is it the size of the array? Is it a syntax issue with typedef? Is it using pow?
Can I quickly refute or confirm that? Yes
Eliminate some of those possible sources of error by changing to
unsigned long long z[200][200];
z[0][0]=2;
The problem went away!
Now put back say pow{2^7) and check again. Then the typedef and check again.
If it is then gently increase the row size and see if it breaks.
If it does then see about how big the size of the array is that breaks this.
Then go looking for limitations on how big an array your cpu/os/compiler can handle.

Note: This was trying to describe how you might think about the next problem, not just giving you the answer to the last problem.

Last edited:
Bill Simpson said:

Nice! :smile:

Be careful though, you may find that even though Z[0][0] = 2 succeeds, you'll still get an access violation if you try to assign all the elements.
Or perhaps everything will seem to work, but then, after a number of calculations, your results become corrupted and you can't find why that is! :wink:

Bill Simpson said:
Humm... Is it the size of the array? Is it a syntax issue with typedef? Is it using pow?
Can I quickly refute or confirm that? Yes
Eliminate some of those possible sources of error by changing to
unsigned long long z[200][200];
z[0][0]=2;
The problem went away!
Now put back say pow{2^7) and check again. Then the typedef and check again.
If it is then gently increase the row size and see if it breaks.
If it does then see about how big the size of the array is that breaks this.
Then go looking for limitations on how big an array your cpu/os/compiler can handle.

Note: This was trying to describe how you might think about the next problem, not just giving you the answer to the last problem.
Too much work!

Just type "limit stacksize" on the command line, and voila! There's the default limit on the size of a program's stack. Unless you have an insane sys admin you will see a rather small number (e.g., I see 8192 kbytes on my computer). Type "limit -h stacksize" and you will see the hard limit on the stack size. This is typically bigger than the default, but is hardly ever unlimited. Or 800 meg.

Thank you, guys!

I've tried to do that:

unsigned long long Z[2][2];
Z[0][0] = 12345678;

And the problem remains! The solution would be dynamic allocation. But nevermind, I don't want to store 2^17*200 elements anymore!

Typing "limitstacksize" on the command line was a great tip!

Thanks, all of you!:smile:

D H said:
Too much work!

A fine example of "if you already know the answer then just type the magic line." That is so much easier than learning how to think so he can debug his next problem when he doesn't already know the answer.

1. What is a segmentation fault in C++?

A segmentation fault, also known as a segfault, is an error that occurs when a program tries to access memory that it is not allowed to access. This often happens when a program tries to access memory that has already been freed or has not been allocated.

2. How do segmentation faults happen in C++?

Segmentation faults can occur for several reasons, including accessing a null pointer, trying to access memory outside of the program's address space, or attempting to write to read-only memory. These errors are usually caused by programming mistakes or logical errors in the code.

3. How do I debug a segmentation fault in C++?

To debug a segmentation fault, you can use a debugger like GDB to step through your code and pinpoint the line where the error occurs. You can also use print statements or logging to track the flow of your program and identify the source of the error.

4. How can I prevent segmentation faults in my C++ code?

To prevent segmentation faults, it is important to carefully manage memory allocation and deallocation in your code. Always make sure to properly initialize variables and avoid dereferencing null pointers. Additionally, using debugging tools and writing robust code can help catch and fix potential errors before they cause a segmentation fault.

5. Can a segmentation fault crash my entire computer?

No, a segmentation fault only affects the specific program that is running and does not cause a system-wide crash. However, if the program that is causing the error is a critical system process, it may lead to system instability and require a restart.