Check Linear Dependence/Independence of Vectors Without Calculator

In summary: Another method is to use Gaussian elimination to see if the vectors are linearly independent, but that is essentially the same as calculating the rank. So, in summary, to check if a given set of vectors is linearly dependent or independent, you can put them in a matrix and calculate the rank. If the rank is equal to the number of vectors, then they are independent, otherwise they are dependent. There is no need to take the transpose of the matrix, and this method works for any number of vectors. Other methods, such as graphical or Gaussian elimination, are essentially the same as calculating the rank.
aliaze1
Does anyone know a good way to check if a given set of vectors (assume we just know we have a set, not their values) is linearly dependent or linearly independent without a calculator?

Ex: Given a set of n-dimensional vectors, say, vector1, vector2, and vector3, how would one determine if these vectors are linearly independent or dependent?

If I were to take the transpose of these vectors and make them into a matrix, and find the rank of this matrix, then I could perhaps check? If rank = number of vectors that make that matrix, then I have linear independence. If rank = less than number of vectors that make the matrix, then I have dependence (please correct me if I am wrong). I am a bit confused, as I know that the dimensions given (n) matter. If number of vectors is same as n/not same as n, does that make a difference?

Is there a better way of doing this? Graphically? Way to do this without looking at rank?

Physics news on Phys.org

aliaze1 said:
Does anyone know a good way to check if a given set of vectors (assume we just know we have a set, not their values) is linearly dependent or linearly independent without a calculator?

Ex: Given a set of n-dimensional vectors, say, vector1, vector2, and vector3, how would one determine if these vectors are linearly independent or dependent?

If I were to take the transpose of these vectors and make them into a matrix, and find the rank of this matrix, then I could perhaps check? If rank = number of vectors that make that matrix, then I have linear independence. If rank = less than number of vectors that make the matrix, then I have dependence (please correct me if I am wrong).

This is correct. Just put the vectors in a matrix and calculate the rank. The rank is the maximal number of linear independent vectors. Thus if the rank = number of vectors, then you have independence, otherwise, you have dependence.

Also, there is no need to take the transpose of the matrix. The rank of a matrix equals the rank of the transpose.

I am a bit confused, as I know that the dimensions given (n) matter. If number of vectors is same as n/not same as n, does that make a difference?

No, the above procedure will work for any number of vectors. Note that the rank is defined for any matrix, not just square matrices!

But of course, if you have more vectors than your dimension, you will always have dependence! The rank of that matrix will also give you this.

Is there a better way of doing this? Graphically? Way to do this without looking at rank?

I think this is the best way of doing this. You can always draw the vectors and see whether they are dependent, but that becomes rather inconvenient if your dimension exceeds 3...

1. What is the concept of linear dependence/independence of vectors?

Linear dependence/independence of vectors is a concept in linear algebra that describes the relationship between a set of vectors. In simple terms, it refers to whether or not a set of vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of other vectors in the set. If they can, the vectors are said to be linearly dependent, and if they cannot, they are linearly independent.

2. How can I check for linear dependence/independence of vectors without a calculator?

There are several methods for checking linear dependence/independence of vectors without a calculator. One method is to use the determinant of a matrix formed by the vectors. If the determinant is equal to 0, the vectors are linearly dependent. Another method is to use Gaussian elimination to reduce the vectors to row-echelon form. If a row of zeros is produced, the vectors are linearly dependent.

3. What is the importance of knowing the linear dependence/independence of vectors?

Understanding the linear dependence/independence of vectors is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science. It is used in solving systems of linear equations, calculating eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and determining the basis of vector spaces. It is also essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

4. Can a set of three or more vectors be linearly dependent?

Yes, a set of three or more vectors can be linearly dependent. The number of vectors does not determine their linear dependence/independence. It is possible for a set of three vectors to be linearly dependent, just as it is possible for a set of two vectors to be linearly independent.

5. Is it possible for a set of vectors to be neither linearly dependent nor independent?

No, a set of vectors can only be either linearly dependent or independent. If a set of vectors is not linearly dependent, then it is automatically linearly independent. This concept is known as the linear dependence theorem. It states that if a set of vectors is linearly independent, adding another vector to the set will make it linearly dependent, and vice versa.