Producing Waveform from Frequency Table

In summary, The speaker is working on a voice synthesizer and is currently using a computer set up to accept an 8-bit 44kHz waveform. They are able to successfully generate sound by adding sines together, but are now looking to generate noise with a specific frequency distribution. They have tried adding sines together using a frequency table stored in an array, but this has not yielded the desired result. The speaker is seeking advice on how to obtain a waveform from a frequency histogram and mentions the importance of including both amplitudes and phases in the reproduction process. They also mention the possibility of using an algorithm called "inverse Fourier transform" for this task. The speaker also raises potential issues with resolution and the use of correct units and arithmetic
navaburo
I'm working on a voice synthesizer. I have my computer set up to accept an 8-bit 44kHz waveform. I'm feeding it sines, adding sines together, and so on. It works great.

However, I want to generate a sound given a frequency histogram. That is, I want to generate noise that has a specific frequency distribution. If my frequency table is stored in an array (think "int freq[100]", using 100Hz histogram bins), how would I go about obtaining a waveform? (I have tried just adding a bunch of sines together, but this doesn't seem to work well... I get lots of beating, not at all a regular "noise" as I want).

Thanks a bunch!
Chris

Technology news on Phys.org
To accurately reproduce a sound from its frequency spectrum, you need not only the amplitudes at each frequency, but also the phases.

(There is an algorithm called "inverse Fourier transform" that can create the waveform for you, but all it does is adds sine waves in a computationally efficient way.)

Possible other causes of problem:

Is 100 Hz resolution good enough?
Are you using amplitude ("volts") which is correct, or power ("watts") or logarithmic power ("dB") which are incorrect?
If you are using integer arithmetic rather than floating point arithmetic, is there any overflow occurring?

1. What is a frequency table?

A frequency table is a graphical representation of data that shows the number of times a particular value or range of values occurs in a dataset. It is usually displayed in a table format with the values listed in one column and the corresponding frequencies in another column.

2. How is a waveform produced from a frequency table?

In order to produce a waveform from a frequency table, the values in the table are converted into a series of points on a graph. The x-axis represents the time and the y-axis represents the amplitude of the signal. The points are then connected to create a continuous waveform.

3. What type of data is typically used to create a frequency table?

Frequency tables can be created using various types of data, including numerical data, categorical data, and even text data. However, they are most commonly used with numerical data, such as measurements or counts.

4. What are some common applications of producing waveforms from frequency tables?

Producing waveforms from frequency tables is commonly used in fields such as signal processing, audio engineering, and telecommunications. It can also be used in scientific research, data analysis, and quality control to visualize and analyze data.

5. Are there any limitations to producing waveforms from frequency tables?

One limitation of producing waveforms from frequency tables is that the resulting waveform may not accurately represent the original data if the frequency table is not constructed properly. Additionally, waveforms can only be produced from data that is continuous and can be measured over time.