How are the anti-quarks formed

• Thread starter Rico L
  • Start date
In summary, anti-matter, such as anti-protons, is formed through the process of colliding two protons at high energy. This collision causes the conversion of energy and mass into new particles, including anti-quarks, while the original particles disappear. The production of matter through collisions is not dependent on the specific particles being collided, but rather on the total energy of the collision.
Rico L
anti-matter is formed because anti-quark is formed ...

i went down to cern last week and asked them how do they make anti-protons, the guy explained that its made by colliding two protons... tho he did explain, but i didnt understand him fully, he said something abt anti-quarks... can some one please explain to me how anti-quarks are made... not jus sayin... by colliding two normal particle... if normal particle e.g proton has three quarks... when 6 of these quarks collide with high energy, what is the exact process of these quarks turning into anti-quarks...

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The production of matter from collisions between particles has more to do with the total energy of the collision and less to do with which actual particles are being collided. For example, colliding two protons together at 1 GeV generates MORE matter than just two protons. You could have multiple protons, anti-protons, neutrons, electrons and other bosons, etc. All that as to happen is that the energy, mass, and other properties are conserved in the end. None of the original particles are "turned" into other particles. The originals are simply gone. I guess you could say that the originals are turned into energy, but I'm unsure what is most accurate.

1. How are anti-quarks formed?

Anti-quarks are formed through a process called pair production, where a quark and an anti-quark are produced from a high-energy collision. This process is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics.

2. What is the difference between quarks and anti-quarks?

Quarks and anti-quarks are fundamentally different in their properties. Quarks have a positive electric charge, while anti-quarks have a negative electric charge. They also have opposite baryon numbers, which is a quantum number that distinguishes between matter and anti-matter.

3. How do anti-quarks interact with other particles?

Anti-quarks interact with other particles through the strong nuclear force and the weak nuclear force. They also have an opposite charge to quarks, so they can interact through electromagnetic forces as well.

4. Can anti-quarks exist on their own?

No, anti-quarks cannot exist on their own. They always have to be paired with a quark in order to form a stable particle. This is due to the fact that anti-quarks have a fractional electric charge, which cannot exist by itself.

5. Are anti-quarks important in everyday life?

While anti-quarks are not directly relevant to everyday life, they play a crucial role in our understanding of the fundamental particles that make up the universe. They are also used in high-energy physics experiments to study the behavior of matter and anti-matter.