What is the path of earth in 4-d space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of curvature in 4D space and the use of analogies to understand it. The idea of a plane moving straight in 3D space but appearing to move in a curved path on a 2D surface is used to explain the concept of spacetime curvature. The analogy of a trampoline is also mentioned, but it is noted that it is not a perfect representation as it is only 2D. The conversation also touches on the idea of using a reference point to determine a path in 4D space and the limitations of using 2D examples to understand 4D concepts.
Rishavutkarsh
what is the path of Earth in 4-d space??

as i read in the brief history of time "let a plane be moving straight in 3-d world but we see it in a curved path on a 2-d Earth surface (mountain). can any1 tell how can we see the space curve as 2-d has not elevation??
moreover i used to think that bodies with mass curve the 4-d space like a paper weight (sun) curves a trampoline and object like Table tennis ball (earth) which try to move in straight path in 4-d space will be disturbed by their path and revolve around the center (as the Earth to sun) and will get closer and closer and will reach the center in some time (millions of year when talking about sun and earth) and in secs in our model (trampoline) .

Am i having a misconception?

Physics news on Phys.org

Rishavutkarsh said:
as i read in the brief history of time "let a plane be moving straight in 3-d world but we see it in a curved path on a 2-d Earth surface (mountain). can any1 tell how can we see the space curve as 2-d has not elevation??
I am not familiar with this analogy, so I cannot comment.

Rishavutkarsh said:
moreover i used to think that bodies with mass curve the 4-d space like a paper weight (sun) curves a trampoline and object like Table tennis ball (earth) which try to move in straight path in 4-d space will be disturbed by their path and revolve around the center (as the Earth to sun) and will get closer and closer and will reach the center in some time (millions of year when talking about sun and earth) and in secs in our model (trampoline) .
Yes, this is correct. Most people on this forum do not like the trampoline analogy since it is a 2D spatial example whereas GR deals with curvature in 4D spacetime (3D space and 1D time). However, it seems that you understand that key difference and understand that it is an analogy for spacetime.

"path" I think has meaning only RELATIVE to something. That is, you have to have point of origin for a coordinate system. What reference point did you have in mind?

DaleSpam said:
I am not familiar with this analogy, so I cannot comment.

it literally means that an plane for example moves straight above the mountain (3-d space) but is seen to move in curve according to 2-d because of up's and down's of mountain . my question is that how can the elevation of the mountain be seen in 2-d?

Rishavutkarsh said:
it literally means that an plane for example moves straight above the mountain (3-d space) but is seen to move in curve according to 2-d because of up's and down's of mountain . my question is that how can the elevation of the mountain be seen in 2-d?
It cannot, but the curvature of the 2D surface of the mountain can be measured purely within the 2D surface without ever referring to the altitude.

1. What is 4-d space?

4-d space refers to the four dimensions of space-time, which include the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) and time.

2. How does the path of Earth differ in 4-d space compared to 3-d space?

In 3-d space, the path of Earth is typically represented as an elliptical orbit around the sun. However, in 4-d space, the path would also include the element of time, showing how Earth moves through space over a period of time.

3. How is the 4-d path of Earth predicted and measured?

The 4-d path of Earth is predicted and measured using mathematical models and equations based on the laws of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and Einstein's theory of general relativity.

4. Does Earth's path in 4-d space affect its orbit around the sun?

Yes, Earth's path in 4-d space does affect its orbit around the sun. The path is determined by the gravitational pull of the sun and other objects in the solar system, as well as the motion of Earth through space.

5. How does understanding the 4-d path of Earth contribute to our knowledge of the universe?

Studying the 4-d path of Earth allows scientists to better understand the complex interactions and movements of objects in space. It also helps in predicting and understanding phenomena such as eclipses, tides, and climate change.