Verify that the function U is a solution for Laplace Equation.

In summary: This is because multiplying a fraction by a negative exponent results in a fraction with a negative numerator but a positive denominator.
DavidAp
Verify that the function U = (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-1/2) is a solution of the three-dimensional Laplace equation Uxx + Uyy + Uzz = 0.

First I solved for the partial derivative Uxx,
Ux
= 2x(-1/2)(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-3/2)
= -x(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-3/2)

Uxx
= -(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-3/2) + -x(2x)(-3/2)(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-5/2)
= 3(x^2)(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-5/2) - (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-3/2)

From there I saw that for finding the partial derivative Uyy & Uzz I would just have the change the variable being squared in the beginning of the function. So,

Uxx =3(x^2)(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-5/2) - (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-3/2)
Uyy =3(y^2)(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-5/2) - (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-3/2)
Uzz =3(z^2)(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-5/2) - (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-3/2)

Because, through my observation, everything should just stay the same. However, when added together I get,

Uxx + Uyy + Uzz
= 3(3x^2 + 3y^2 + 3z^2)[(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-5/2) - (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-3/2)]

As you can see this ridiculously long function is not zero which leads to my question. Why didn't everything cancel itself out? Wasn't that suppose to happen, everything cancels itself out so I can say that Laplace's Rule works and it all equals to zero? I'm confused.

Again, thank you so much for reviewing my question and not being deterred at the sheer sight of my derivation of the partial derivatives and algebra.

Physics news on Phys.org
Advice: write U_xx = 3(x^2)(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-5/2) - (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-3/2) as a single fraction, and then proceed.

Also I'm not sure how you got what you got when you added the 3 terms together.

I don't see anything wrong with what you did - the only problem is that you didn't take it far enough.

Uxx = -(x2 + y2 + z2)-3/2 + 3x2(x2 + y2 + z2)-5/2

I rewrote all three expressions using positive exponents (getting fractions), and then combined the fractions.

For example,
[tex]U_{xx} = \frac{-(x^2 + y^2 + z^2) + 3z^2}{(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^{5/2}}[/tex]

If you add all three of the indicated second partials, you do in fact get zero.

What is the Laplace Equation and why is it important?

The Laplace Equation is a second-order partial differential equation that describes the distribution of a scalar field in a given space. It is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mathematics, and fluid mechanics, as it allows us to model and solve complex physical phenomena.

What does it mean for a function to be a solution for the Laplace Equation?

A function is considered a solution for the Laplace Equation if, when substituted into the equation, it satisfies the equation and its boundary conditions. This means that the function accurately describes the distribution of the scalar field in the given space.

What is the role of the Laplace Equation in verifying a function as a solution?

The Laplace Equation serves as a mathematical tool to verify if a given function is a solution. By substituting the function into the equation and checking if it satisfies the equation and boundary conditions, we can determine if the function is a valid solution.

What are the common methods used to solve the Laplace Equation?

Some common methods used to solve the Laplace Equation include separation of variables, Fourier series, and numerical techniques such as the finite element method. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the equation and the desired level of accuracy.

How is the solution for the Laplace Equation useful in real-world applications?

The solution for the Laplace Equation can be used to predict and analyze various physical phenomena, such as heat flow, fluid flow, and electric potential. It is also used in engineering and design to optimize structures and systems, and in scientific research to better understand natural processes.