Graph Theory: Bipartite Graph Question

In summary: G is not bipartite.In summary, The problem at hand is to prove that a graph G is bipartite if and only if every subgraph H has an independent set containing |V(H)|/2. The professor provided a solution by proving the contrapositive, in which he supposes G is not bipartite and shows that there exists a subgraph H with no independent set of size |V(H)|/2. To do this, he takes out k+1 vertices from a cycle of odd length, {v_1, ...,v_2k+1}, and uses the pigeonhole principle to show that at least two of the removed vertices will be adjacent. This proves that G
mrtanaka

Homework Statement

Prove: G is bipartite iff every subgraph H has an independent set containing |V(H)|/2

Homework Equations

independent set = set of mutually nonadjacent vertices.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to understand a solution given by my prof (for the backwards direction). As I understand it, he proved the contrapositive: suppose G is not bipartite and show that there exists a subgraph that does not have an independent with |V(H)|/2.

As G is not bipartite, we can find a cycle of odd length, {v_1, ...,v_2k+1}. He said if you take out k+1 vertices from this set, then by the pigeonhole principle, two of them will be consecutive (=> therefore adjacent). Therefore k+1 vertices cannot be independent.

I do not understand the step where k+1 vertices are removed, then somehow by the pigeonhole principle you conclude they are adjacent. I'd appreciate any help with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not all of the k+1 verticies are adjacent. He is saying that in the cycle, there are 2k+1 verticies, each one being connected to the next one. But, if you take out k+1, then at least two of them will be adjacent. Now, why is this true? Well, let's try to take as many verticies out of this cycle such that no two are adjacent. How would you do this, and how many can you do for a cycle of length 2k+1?

Do you see it? Post back if not.

Thank you for replying. I see that if you take out k+1, at least two of them will be adjacent. but i do not see how this says anything about the size of the independent set, so i am still unclear

1. What is a bipartite graph?

A bipartite graph is a type of graph in which the vertices can be divided into two disjoint sets such that all edges connect a vertex from one set to a vertex from the other set. In other words, there are no edges between vertices within the same set.

2. How is a bipartite graph represented?

A bipartite graph can be represented using a visual diagram with two distinct sets of vertices, typically represented by different colors or shapes. It can also be represented using an adjacency matrix or an adjacency list.

3. What is the significance of bipartite graphs?

Bipartite graphs have many real-world applications, such as representing relationships between different types of objects or entities. They are also useful in modeling and solving problems in various fields, including computer science, economics, and social sciences.

4. How do you determine if a graph is bipartite?

A graph can be determined as bipartite if it can be divided into two distinct sets of vertices, with no edges connecting vertices within the same set. This can be done by using algorithms such as Breadth-First Search or Depth-First Search.

5. Can a bipartite graph have an odd number of vertices?

No, a bipartite graph cannot have an odd number of vertices. This is because the vertices must be divided into two distinct sets, and an odd number of vertices would result in one set having more vertices than the other, breaking the definition of a bipartite graph.