Understanding Energy of a Signal: Integral & Absolute Value Sign

In summary, the conversation discussed the confusion about the mathematical definition of energy for a signal and the use of absolute value signs in integrals. It was explained that for real-valued functions the absolute values can be ignored, but for complex-valued functions, the absolute value squared can be written as the sum of the squared real and imaginary parts. It was also mentioned that math problems can either be trivial or impossible.
cybernoodles
Hi All,

I am confused about what is meant in the mathematical definition for the energy of a signal. Why is it the integral of the magnitude of the signal squared?

∫(|f(t)|^2)

How do I deal with the absolute value sign? I do not have much experience with absolute value signs in integrals. I did do a search but am still confused. How do I even know if a function will need to be readjusted according to the absolute value sign and, if so, how do I rewrite the function so that it obeys the absolute value condition?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If [itex]f(t)[/itex] is a real-valued function the absolute values just "go away", because [tex]|f\,|^2 = |f\,| \times |f\,| = f\,{}^2[/tex]
is always true - it doesn't matter whether [itex]f[/itex] is positive, negative, or zero.

If [itex]f[/itex] is a complex-valued function and [itex]f(t) = p(t) + i\,q(t)[/itex], then
[tex]|f\,|^2 = p^2 + q^2[/tex]

Wow that was so simple. Thanks!

cybernoodles said:
Wow that was so simple.

Somebody once said, "There are only two types of math problem: the trivial ones that you know how to solve, and the impossible ones that you don't" :smile:

1. What is the integral of a signal?

The integral of a signal is a mathematical operation that calculates the area under the curve of the signal. It represents the accumulated value of the signal over a specific time interval.

2. How is the integral of a signal related to its energy?

The integral of a signal is directly related to its energy because the energy of a signal is equal to the square of the integral of the signal. This means that the larger the integral, the more energy the signal has.

3. What is the absolute value sign in relation to the energy of a signal?

The absolute value sign is used to calculate the magnitude or strength of a signal. In the context of energy, it is used to determine the total energy of the signal, regardless of its direction or polarity.

4. How does understanding the energy of a signal help in scientific research?

Understanding the energy of a signal is essential in many areas of scientific research, including physics, engineering, and biology. It allows us to analyze and interpret signals from various sources, such as sound, light, and electrical circuits, and make informed decisions based on their energy levels.

5. Can the energy of a signal be negative?

Yes, the energy of a signal can be negative. This occurs when the integral of the signal has a negative value, meaning that the signal has more negative values than positive values. In this case, the energy represents the amount of work needed to change the polarity or direction of the signal.