How do I find Fourier series coefficients for triangular and sawtooth waveforms?

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the coefficients of triangular and sawtooth waveforms, which involve messy integrals due to the linear slope. The article referenced provides the Fourier transform coefficients for various shapes and the corresponding equations for deriving them.
phsyics_197
Triangular and sawtooth waveforms.

I solved for the coeffiecients for the square wave, and was wondering if you do the same for triangular and sawtooth. I keep getting large/messy integrals that do not seem to simplify.

The thing that is messing me up is that the waveform is linear with a slope, as opposed to just 1/-1. Which would require us to solve by integration by parts.

Are there any worked up examples regarding these. I would like to see the answer I am supposed to get and try to work through it.

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is a Complex Fourier series?

A Complex Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic signal using a combination of complex exponential functions. It is used to decompose a complex signal into its individual frequency components.

2. How is a Complex Fourier series different from a regular Fourier series?

A regular Fourier series uses only real exponential functions, while a Complex Fourier series uses both real and imaginary exponential functions. This makes it possible to represent signals with both amplitude and phase information.

3. What is the formula for the Complex Fourier series?

The formula for the Complex Fourier series is:
F(x) = a0 + ∑(ancos(nx) + bnsin(nx))
where a0, an, and bn are the coefficients for each frequency component.

4. How is the Complex Fourier series used in signal processing?

The Complex Fourier series is used in signal processing to analyze and manipulate signals in the frequency domain. It allows for filtering, noise reduction, and other signal processing techniques to be applied to complex signals.

5. What are the applications of the Complex Fourier series?

The Complex Fourier series has various applications in fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used in signal processing, image and audio compression, and solving differential equations, among others.