Finding the exact value of sec^2x

• Thread starter Bread18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
But when you evaluated the slopes of the tangent lines at x = \alpha, you had, for y = tan x , m_{2} = \sec^{2} \alpha \Rightarrow \cos^{2} \alpha = \frac{1}{m_{2}} \Rightarrow \sin^{2} \alpha = 1 - \cos^{2} \alpha = 1 - \frac{1}{m_{2}}
Bread18

Homework Statement

The curves y=cosx and y=tanx intersect at point P whose x coordinate is [itex]\alpha[/itex]
a) show the curves intersect at right angles at P.
b) show that sec^2[itex]\alpha[/itex] = (1 + [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex])/2

Homework Equations

I think they're all given up there ^

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to do part a pretty easily, but I get stuck on part b.

tan[itex]\alpha[/itex] = cos[itex]\alpha[/itex]

cos^2[itex]\alpha[/itex] = sin[itex]\alpha[/itex]

sin^2[itex]\alpha[/itex] + sin[itex]\alpha[/itex] - 1 = 0

I'm not sure how to do go on from there.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Bread18 said:

Homework Statement

The curves y=cosx and y=tanx intersect at point P whose x coordinate is [itex]\alpha[/itex]
a) show the curves intersect at right angles at P.
b) show that sec^2[itex]\alpha[/itex] = (1 + [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex])/2

Homework Equations

I think they're all given up there ^

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to do part a pretty easily, but I get stuck on part b.
It looks like you're stuck on part a and haven't gotten to part b, yet.
Bread18 said:
tan[itex]\alpha[/itex] = cos[itex]\alpha[/itex]

cos^2[itex]\alpha[/itex] = sin[itex]\alpha[/itex]

sin^2[itex]\alpha[/itex] + sin[itex]\alpha[/itex] - 1 = 0
This equation is quadratic in sin(α). Let u = sin(α). What does the equation look like with this substitution?
Bread18 said:
I'm not sure how to do go on from there.

Thanks

Alright I got it:

sin[itex]\alpha[/itex] =[itex](-1 + \sqrt{5})/2[/itex]

cos^2[itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex](-1 + \sqrt{5})/2[/itex]

Tan^2[itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex](-1 + \sqrt{5})/2[/itex]

1 + Tan^2[itex]\alpha[/itex] = 1 + [itex](-1 + \sqrt{5})/2[/itex]

sec^2[itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex](1 + \sqrt{5})/2[/itex]

Thanks

Bread18 said:
Alright I got it:
I don't think so.
Bread18 said:
sin[itex]\alpha[/itex] =[itex](-1 + \sqrt{5})/2[/itex]
You should have two values.
sin[itex]\alpha[/itex] =[itex](-1 \pm \sqrt{5})/2[/itex]
Bread18 said:
cos^2[itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex](-1 + \sqrt{5})/2[/itex]
How does this follow from the line above it?
Bread18 said:
Tan^2[itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex](-1 + \sqrt{5})/2[/itex]
?
Bread18 said:
1 + Tan^2[itex]\alpha[/itex] = 1 + [itex](-1 + \sqrt{5})/2[/itex]

Thanks

Mark44 said:
I don't think so.

You should have two values.

How does this follow from the line above it?
?

I didn't know how to do +-, so I left it as plus, answer is still the same though.

From cos^2[itex]\alpha[/itex] = sin[itex]\alpha[/itex]

cos^2[itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex](-1 \pm \sqrt{5})/2[/itex]

As tanx = cosx when x = [itex]\alpha[/itex]

tan^2[itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex](-1 \pm \sqrt{5})/2[/itex]

adding 1 to both sides

1 + tan^2[itex]\alpha[/itex] = 1 + [itex](-1 \pm \sqrt{5})/2[/itex]

sec^2[itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex](1 \pm \sqrt{5})/2[/itex]

but sec^2[itex]\alpha[/itex] is going to be positive, so its the positive solution

OK, looks good. Your explanation helped me follow what you were doing without having to reproduce your work.

Have you done part a? You have to show that the two curves intersect at a right angle.

Yeah I did part a first. Just found the gradient of the 2 lines at [itex]\alpha[/itex] and they multiplied to give -1. I couldn't see how that would have helped me with part b though.

Bread18 said:

cos^2[itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex](-1 \pm \sqrt{5})/2[/itex]

You could also have gotten there a little quicker by "flipping the equation over" to write

[tex] sec^{2} \alpha = \frac {2}{-1 \pm \sqrt{5}} = \frac {2}{-1 \pm \sqrt{5}} \cdot \frac {-1 \mp \sqrt{5}}{-1 \mp \sqrt{5}} = \frac {2 ( -1 \mp \sqrt{5} )}{1 - 5} = \frac {1 \pm \sqrt{5} }{2} [/tex]

and you discarded the negative result.

Why am I bothering to remark on this at all? Because [itex] \frac {1 + \sqrt{5} }{2} [/itex] is a special number, the "golden ratio" [itex] \phi [/itex] (also labeled [itex] \tau [/itex] by some folks). Its reciprocal is [itex] \frac{1}{\phi} = \phi - 1 [/itex] * ; while it is not as "famous" as [itex]\pi[/itex] or e , it is nearly as ubiquitous and turns up in a lot of unexpected places (like here!). When the quadratic equation [itex]x^{2} \pm x - 1 = 0 [/itex] appears in some application, [itex] \phi [/itex] or its related numbers are not far away...

* which is why your calculations behaved the way they did; and, BTW, the "rejected" value [itex] \frac {1 - \sqrt{5} }{2} [/itex] equals [itex] - \frac{1}{\phi} [/itex] !

Just found the gradient of the 2 lines at α and they multiplied to give -1. I couldn't see how that would have helped me with part b though.

Well, it certainly wouldn't have been particularly obvious... But when you evaluated the slopes of the tangent lines at [itex] x = \alpha[/itex], you had, for y = tan x ,

[tex] m_{2} = \sec^{2} \alpha \Rightarrow \cos^{2} \alpha = \frac{1}{m_{2}} \Rightarrow \sin^{2} \alpha = 1 - \cos^{2} \alpha = 1 - \frac{1}{m_{2}} . [/tex]

Since you also have, for the slope of y = cos x , [itex] m_{1} = -\sin \alpha [/itex] and the perpendicular tangent lines give us [itex] m_{1} = - \frac{1}{m_{2}} [/itex],
you would have the equation

[tex] \sin^{2} \alpha = 1 - \frac{1}{m_{2}} \Rightarrow m_{1}^{2} = 1 - \frac{1}{m_{2}} \Rightarrow \frac{1}{m_{2}^{2}} = 1 - \frac{1}{m_{2}} \Rightarrow 1 = m_{2}^{2} - m_{2} \Rightarrow m_{2}^{2} - m_{2} - 1 = 0 , [/tex]

and so out pops [itex] m_{2} = \phi [/itex]. A wonderful number!

dynamicsolo said:
You could also have gotten there a little quicker by "flipping the equation over" to write

[tex] sec^{2} \alpha = \frac {2}{-1 \pm \sqrt{5}} = \frac {2}{-1 \pm \sqrt{5}} \cdot \frac {-1 \mp \sqrt{5}}{-1 \mp \sqrt{5}} = \frac {2 ( -1 \mp \sqrt{5} )}{1 - 5} = \frac {1 \pm \sqrt{5} }{2} [/tex]

and you discarded the negative result.

Oddly enough I never thought of doing it at the time, though now that I see it, it seems to be the most obvious option.

dynamicsolo said:
Why am I bothering to remark on this at all? Because [itex] \frac {1 + \sqrt{5} }{2} [/itex] is a special number, the "golden ratio" [itex] \phi [/itex] (also labeled [itex] \tau [/itex] by some folks). Its reciprocal is [itex] \frac{1}{\phi} = \phi - 1 [/itex] * ; while it is not as "famous" as [itex]\pi[/itex] or e , it is nearly as ubiquitous and turns up in a lot of unexpected places (like here!). When the quadratic equation [itex]x^{2} \pm x - 1 = 0 [/itex] appears in some application, [itex] \phi [/itex] or its related numbers are not far away...

* which is why your calculations behaved the way they did; and, BTW, the "rejected" value [itex] \frac {1 - \sqrt{5} }{2} [/itex] equals [itex] - \frac{1}{\phi} [/itex] !

I never knew any of that. I have seen the number come up quite a few times, but I never thought it to be of any significance. I seem to recall seeing it a lot with complex numbers and finding the exact values of sinx etc. Is there any reason it isn't as well known? I am only in high school so I may find it in the future.

Thanks for the input

dynamicsolo said:
Well, it certainly wouldn't have been particularly obvious... But when you evaluated the slopes of the tangent lines at [itex] x = \alpha[/itex], you had, for y = tan x ,

[tex] m_{2} = \sec^{2} \alpha \Rightarrow \cos^{2} \alpha = \frac{1}{m_{2}} \Rightarrow \sin^{2} \alpha = 1 - \cos^{2} \alpha = 1 - \frac{1}{m_{2}} . [/tex]

Since you also have, for the slope of y = cos x , [itex] m_{1} = -\sin \alpha [/itex] and the perpendicular tangent lines give us [itex] m_{1} = - \frac{1}{m_{2}} [/itex],
you would have the equation

[tex] \sin^{2} \alpha = 1 - \frac{1}{m_{2}} \Rightarrow m_{1}^{2} = 1 - \frac{1}{m_{2}} \Rightarrow \frac{1}{m_{2}^{2}} = 1 - \frac{1}{m_{2}} \Rightarrow 1 = m_{2}^{2} - m_{2} \Rightarrow m_{2}^{2} - m_{2} - 1 = 0 , [/tex]

and so out pops [itex] m_{2} = \phi [/itex]. A wonderful number!

Thanks for that, I just didn't see that at all, didn't make the connection. Good to see how to do it though. Just had my exam today, so it's a bit too late to do anything about it :P

Bread18 said:
I never knew any of that. I have seen the number come up quite a few times, but I never thought it to be of any significance. Is there any reason it isn't as well known?

The "golden ratio" isn't quite as fundamental a number in our mathematical practice as [itex]\pi[/itex] or e are, so we don't run across it quite so often. But if you search on "Golden Ratio", you'll find that quite a lot has been written about it (just one example: the ratio of terms Fn+1 / Fn in the Fibonacci series tends to [itex]\phi[/itex] , as n goes to infinity). I'm kind of "sensitized" to such numbers, so I am always interested in the strange places where they crop up...

Thanks for that, I just didn't see that at all, didn't make the connection. Good to see how to do it though.

There isn't any reason you should have suspected any of this going into the problem. It was when I saw That Number come up in this thread that I decided to investgate how it was related.

Last edited:

What is the formula for finding the exact value of sec^2x?

The formula for finding the exact value of sec^2x is 1/cos^2x. This means that you need to take the reciprocal of the cosine of x and square it to find the value of sec^2x.

Why is it important to find the exact value of sec^2x?

Finding the exact value of sec^2x is important because it is a fundamental trigonometric function that is used in many mathematical and scientific calculations. It is also used to find the values of other trigonometric functions such as tan^2x and cot^2x.

What are the steps to finding the exact value of sec^2x?

The steps to finding the exact value of sec^2x are as follows:
1. Identify the angle x.
2. Find the value of cosine of x.
3. Take the reciprocal of the cosine of x.
4. Square the reciprocal to get the value of sec^2x.

Can the exact value of sec^2x be negative?

Yes, the exact value of sec^2x can be negative. This happens when the angle x is in the third or fourth quadrant, where the cosine of x is negative, making the reciprocal positive. However, if the angle x is in the first or second quadrant, the exact value of sec^2x will always be positive.

How can I check if my answer for the exact value of sec^2x is correct?

You can check your answer by using a calculator to find the value of sec^2x and comparing it to your calculated value. You can also use trigonometric identities, such as sec^2x = 1 + tan^2x, to verify your answer.