Ester formation & amount of acid catalyst needed

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of esters through a Fisher esterification experiment. The experiment calls for X moles of R-C=O(OH), 10X moles of R2-C-OH, and a small amount of H2SO4 as the acid catalyst. The exact amount of H2SO4 needed is not specified, but it is mentioned that only a few drops are required per mole of carboxylic acid. The conversation also mentions that additional acid may not cause problems, unless the reactants are sensitive to acid. The person involved in the conversation has found helpful links and advice for the experiment and feels prepared to carry it out.
smack_whore
Hi I've been reading a lot about esters and have the general idea but I am not sure about exact amounts of acid catalyst needed.
say the following experiment was tro be carried out to form an ester
R-C=O(O-R2)
*X moles of R-C=O(OH)
*10X moles of R2-C-OH
*How much H2SO4 would be needed?
i read a few drops are needed, but a few drops per what?per mole of carboxylic acid?alcohol?
any answers comments appreciated, thanks :!)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure it's carboxylic acid

Whenever I have done a Fisher esterification the amount of acid called for has been exceptionally small (e.g. 0.002 equivalents relative to acid) so I don't think that the concentration is very important. That said, additional acid probably won't cause problems unless your alcohol or acid/ester and especially acid sensitive.

thanks

thanks a lot for the links tutor n for the advice movies, both very helpfull.i think i have everything i need now :smile:

1. What is Ester formation?

Ester formation is a type of chemical reaction where an alcohol and carboxylic acid combine to form an ester and water. This process is also known as esterification.

2. How is Ester formation useful?

Ester formation has a wide range of applications such as in the production of perfumes, flavors, and plastics. It is also used in the synthesis of various pharmaceuticals and as a solvent in organic reactions.

3. What factors influence Ester formation?

The rate and extent of ester formation can be influenced by several factors such as the concentration of the reactants, temperature, and the presence of a catalyst. A higher concentration of reactants and a lower temperature can favor the formation of esters.

4. How does the amount of acid catalyst affect Ester formation?

An acid catalyst is necessary for the esterification reaction to occur. The amount of acid catalyst needed depends on the type of acid used, the concentration of the reactants, and the reaction conditions. Generally, a small amount of catalyst is required to speed up the reaction.

5. What are some common acid catalysts used in Ester formation?

Sulfuric acid, hydrochloric acid, and phosphoric acid are some of the commonly used acid catalysts in ester formation reactions. These acids can donate a proton to the reactants and facilitate the formation of an ester.