Can G[P(A),c] imply G(A,c) be proven using predicate calculus axioms?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two place and one place operations, as well as constants and predicates. The given axioms and assumptions are used to prove that a certain statement is true. The person speaking has found a way to solve the problem but has not written down the complete formal proof yet.
solakis
Let:

1)P be one place operation

2)K be one place operation

3) c be a constant

let :

1) G be a two place predicate

2) H be a two place predicate

Let :

The following axioms or assumptions)

1)for all A { H(A,c)v H(c,A)v G(A,c)}

2)for all A { H(A,c)=> G[P(A),A]}

3)for all A {H(c,A) => G[P(A),K(A)]}

4)for all A {G[K(A),c] => G(A,c)}.

5)for all A,B,C { [G(A,B) and G(A,C)]=> G(B,C)}

Then formally prove :

for all A {G[P(A),c] => G(A,c)}

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like an interesting exercise, I'll try it later.
Have you finished it yet, or are you just fishing around for the answer? :-)

Just got home from work and had a serious look at the problem.
It's an interesting problem.
I found the way to do it, but I haven't written down the complete formal proof because I don't really feel like proving OR elimination for three variables at this point (i.e. { A v B v C, A => D, B => D, C => D } |= D).

1. What is predicate calculus?

Predicate calculus is a formal system of mathematical logic used to represent and reason about statements involving quantifiers, variables, and predicates. It is a branch of first-order logic and is widely used in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and philosophy.

2. What is the purpose of proof in predicate calculus?

The purpose of proof in predicate calculus is to demonstrate the validity of arguments or statements within the system. This involves using a set of rules and axioms to derive conclusions from given premises, and ultimately showing that the conclusion follows logically from the premises.

3. How is proof conducted in predicate calculus?

Proof in predicate calculus typically involves using formal rules of inference, such as modus ponens and universal instantiation, to manipulate logical expressions and derive new statements. The use of quantifiers and variables allows for general statements to be made, and the rules ensure that the logical structure of the arguments remains intact.

4. What are some common strategies for constructing a proof in predicate calculus?

Some common strategies for constructing a proof in predicate calculus include working backwards from the conclusion, using previously proven theorems, and looking for patterns or symmetries in the given premises. It is also important to carefully apply the rules of inference and maintain logical consistency throughout the proof.

5. How is proof in predicate calculus different from other types of proof?

Proof in predicate calculus differs from other types of proof, such as geometric or algebraic proofs, in that it deals with formal logical statements rather than specific numerical or geometric properties. It also allows for the use of quantifiers and variables, which allows for more general and abstract statements to be made and proved.