Compute Solid Angle of Cone: θ | Hi Everyone

• Thread starter azerty12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solid
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the solid angle of a cone with a known apex angle θ. The initial attempts using a definition and a rule of three resulted in incorrect calculations. The suggested method is to use the integral \int_0^{2\pi}\,\int_0^\theta\,sin\theta\,\mathrm{d}\theta\,\mathrm{d}\phi for a cone with apex angle 2theta, as mentioned on Wikipedia. It is also noted that the second integral should be taken from 0 instead of -theta, as phi is integrated over 2Pi.
azerty12
Hi everyone

I'd like to compute the solide angle defined by a cone whose angle θ is known.
I tried with the definition but I probably mistook since it lead me to compute an integral worth...0.
I then tried with a rule of three, but the result I get is clearly wrong too.

Could you explain me how to proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this:
[itex]\int_0^{2\pi}\,\int_0^\theta\,sin\theta\,\mathrm{d}\theta\,\mathrm{d}\phi[/itex]

for a cone with apex angle 2theta

via wikipedia

Thank you emgram769: In fact that's almost what I tried to do but I took the second integral with -theta instead of 0 (and we should take 0 because phi is integrated over 2Pi)

1. What is the solid angle of a cone?

The solid angle of a cone is the measure of the spread of a cone's surface area from a single point at its apex. It is measured in steradians (sr) and is represented by the symbol Ω.

2. How is the solid angle of a cone calculated?

The solid angle of a cone can be calculated by dividing the area of the base of the cone by the square of the distance from the apex to the base, and then multiplying by 2π.

3. What is the significance of calculating the solid angle of a cone?

Calculating the solid angle of a cone is important in many fields, such as physics, astronomy, and engineering. It can be used to determine the amount of radiation or light received from a given source, or to calculate the flux of a cone-shaped beam of particles.

4. What is the range of values for the solid angle of a cone?

The solid angle of a cone can range from 0 to 4π sr (steradians). A complete cone with a 360-degree angle would have a solid angle of 4π sr, while a flat surface would have a solid angle of 0.

5. Are there any real-life applications of computing the solid angle of a cone?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of computing the solid angle of a cone. Some examples include calculating the illumination of a surface by a light source, determining the field of view of a camera or telescope, and estimating the radiation received by an object from a nuclear source.