Autonomous System Summation: What is the sum of X1 + X2 + ... to infinity?

I'm not sure why that worked, but it did.In summary, after encountering a problem in a work project and not having a strong math background, the individual asks for help in solving the problem involving constants and a series. Through trial and error and research, the individual discovers that the problem can be solved using linear algebra and matrix equations. The final solution involves finding a matrix B and using it to solve for the sum of X and Y.
arentmuskets
This problem came up in a project I'm doing for work, and I don't have a very extensive math background so I don't know how to solve it. I would appreciate any help you guys could give me.

X1 is a constant
Y1 is a constant

Xn = aXn-1 + bYn-1
Yn = cXn-1 + dYn-1

For all n, for some constants a,b,c,d (for my purposes, all between -1 and 0).

What is the sum X1 + X2 + ... to infinity?

I've tried summing it like an infinite series:
(1/(1-a))(x+b((1/(1-d)y + cx))

That gives me a (poor) approximation, but not the exact answer :-(.

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can rewrite the equation as follows...

Xn = (a + b)Xn-1
Xn = cXn-1

...where c = a + b. Note that every term is equal to the previous term multiplied by a constant, making this a geometric series, which only converges if |c| < 1. Any calculus textbook will discuss dealing with geometric series; the sum is given by...

[tex] Sum = \frac{X_{1}}{1 - c}[/tex]

I think i might have written it wrong. Xn is a function of both Xn-1 AND Yn-1. I've corrected the mistake in my post.

I think it makes it a lot more complicated than a simple infinite series.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I could still use some help.

The logic I've been working on goes like this:

1/(1-a) (x) = x + ax +a2x + ...

1/(1-a) (x + by) = x + by + a2x + aby ...

Which covers some, but not all of the terms created when you solve the problem by hand.

I'm thinking it might be something like:

[itex]\sum[/itex]X = 1/(1-a) ( x + bYn-1 )
[itex]\sum[/itex]Yn-1 = 1/(1-d) (y + cXn-2)

But I don't know how to express Xn-2 in terms of Xn.

Please help! (or point me in the right direction)

To me, its simpler to look at it as a linear algebra problem. The recurrences amount to the matrix equation:

[tex] \begin{pmatrix} X_n \\ Y_n \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{pmatrix} ^ n \begin{pmatrix} x_0 \\ y_0 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

For [itex] S_n = \sum_{i=1}^n X_i [/itex] and [itex] T_n = \sum_{i=1}^n Y_i [/itex]

[tex] \begin{pmatrix} S_n \\ T_n \end{pmatrix} = \sum_{i=1}^n \begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{pmatrix}^i \begin{pmatrix} x_0 \\ y_0 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

To sum the matrix power series, we can try to find a matrix [itex] B [/itex] such that

[tex] \begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{pmatrix} = B^{-1} \begin{pmatrix} \lambda_1 & 0 \\ 0 & \lambda_2 \end{pmatrix} B [/tex]

Then

[tex] \begin{pmatrix} S_n \\ T_n \end{pmatrix} = B^{-1} ( \sum_{i=1}^n \begin{pmatrix} \lambda_1 & 0 \\ 0 & \lambda_2 \end{pmatrix}^i ) B \begin{pmatrix} x_0 \\ y_0 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

[tex] = B^{-1} \begin{pmatrix} \sum_{i=1}^n \lambda_1^i & 0 \\ 0 & \sum_{i=1}^n \lambda_2^i \end{pmatrix} B \begin{pmatrix} x_0 \\ y_0 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

Thanks for the solution, Stephen!

I actually cracked it yesterday by myself. My original logic turned out to be right:

Since all terms in Xn-1 will be multiplied by a in Xn, we know that every term will be multiplied by a each step into infinity. Furthermore, we know that all new terms in X will come from b[itex]\Sigma[/itex]y (and the original X1. Therefore we know:

[itex]\sum X=\frac{1}{1-a}\left ( x_{1}+b\sum Y \right )[/itex]

By the same logic:

[itex]\sum Y=\frac{1}{1-d}\left ( y_{1}+c\sum X \right )[/itex]

Now, if we plug [itex]\Sigma[/itex]y into the formula for [itex]\Sigma[/itex]x, and solve for [itex]\Sigma[/itex]x, and then do some algebra, we get:

[itex]\sum X=\frac{by_{1}+x_{1}-dx_{1}}{\left ( 1-d \right )\left ( 1-a \right )-bc}[/itex]

Which turns out to be right, after I tested it.

1. What is Autonomous System Summation (ASSum)?

Autonomous System Summation (ASSum) is a mathematical technique used in network analysis to calculate the total number of autonomous systems (AS) in a network. It is based on the concept of path length, which is the number of AS hops it takes to reach a particular network destination.

2. How is Autonomous System Summation (ASSum) calculated?

ASSum is calculated by adding up the total number of distinct AS paths that reach a particular network destination. Each AS path is counted only once, regardless of how many times it appears in the network.

3. What is the significance of Autonomous System Summation (ASSum) in network analysis?

ASSum is used to measure the complexity and efficiency of a network. A higher value of ASSum indicates a more complex network with longer paths, while a lower value indicates a more efficient network with shorter paths.

4. Can Autonomous System Summation (ASSum) be used for both IPv4 and IPv6 networks?

Yes, ASSum can be used for both IPv4 and IPv6 networks. It is a network-agnostic technique that is based on the structure of AS paths, rather than the specific IP addressing scheme.

5. Are there any limitations to using Autonomous System Summation (ASSum)?

One limitation of ASSum is that it does not take into account the quality or capacity of the links between AS hops. This means that a network with a lower ASSum value may not necessarily be more efficient in terms of data transmission. Additionally, ASSum may not accurately reflect the true complexity of a network if there are multiple paths between AS hops.