Comparing Salmon vs. Tuna Size

• Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
In summary, the explanation for why there are bones and skin in a can of salmon is that the salmon was packed in its entirety, including the bones and skin. The bigger the salmon, the more bones and skin it will include.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I tried to make the thread title sound vaguely scientific, but the moderators can move this to General Discussion if they prefer. I didn't know where to put it. It's a dumb question about fish.

I'm wondering why is that a can of salmon (specifically Sockeye salmon from Alaska) includes a great deal of skin and bones, including vertebrae, whereas a can of tuna (specifically Albacore tuna) includes just the meat and nothing else.

My working "common-sense" hypothesis has been that since the tuna is a much bigger fish, it's easier to take out a chunk of flesh that's big enough for a can without having to cross any bones or edges of the body. For the salmon, I assume that to get enough meat for a can, you basically have to include an entire cross-section, skin, vertebrae, and all.

I looked it up, and Albacore tuna have an average length of 1.4 m vs. 0.35 m for Sockeye salmon, so my hypothesis seems plausible. Also the body of the salmon seems much narrower than the tuna. I was wondering if anyone who knows anything about fish could confirm or refute my explanation?

And don't ask me what my favourite fish is. I'm not falling for that again...:wink:

Biology news on Phys.org
Salmon bones become soft when cooked and are delicious. Many people also like the skin.

Why are there bones & skin in my can of Traditional Salmon?

"Traditional" refers to the process by which salmon has been packed for many years, that is the whole body of the fish including the bones and skin is placed in the can. The high heat sterilization process softens the bones and skin to the point where they can be easily mashed and blended into salads, casseroles and other delicious dishes. Chicken of the Sea also produces salmon in a skinless and boneless pack for those consumers who prefer it without the skin and bones.

You are right that size is also an issue.

http://chickenofthesea.com/faq.aspx

Evo said:
Salmon bones become soft when cooked and are delicious. Many people also like the skin.

You are right that size is also an issue.

http://chickenofthesea.com/faq.aspx

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I would also like to mention the fact that salmon, especially sockeye, is generally more expensive than tuna.

Big fish = bigger fillets (although some fish are more bony as you know)

Size does matter.

Rich (keen fisher)

1. What is the average size difference between salmon and tuna?

On average, salmon tend to be smaller than tuna. The average size of a salmon can range from 2 to 3 feet in length, while tuna can grow up to 4 feet in length.

2. Do salmon and tuna have different weight ranges?

Yes, there is a significant difference in weight ranges between salmon and tuna. Salmon typically weigh between 5 to 15 pounds, while tuna can weigh anywhere from 20 to 600 pounds.

3. How does the size of salmon and tuna affect their habitats?

The size of salmon and tuna can greatly impact their habitats and migration patterns. Salmon, being smaller, tend to live and migrate in rivers and streams, while tuna, being larger, can swim and migrate in open oceans.

4. Are there any noticeable physical differences between large and small salmon and tuna?

Yes, there are noticeable physical differences between large and small salmon and tuna. Larger salmon and tuna tend to have a more streamlined and elongated body shape, while smaller salmon and tuna may appear rounder and shorter in comparison.

5. How do the sizes of salmon and tuna affect their diets?

The size of salmon and tuna can greatly impact their diets. Smaller salmon and tuna tend to feed on smaller prey such as insects and small fish, while larger salmon and tuna can consume larger prey such as squid, crustaceans, and even other fish.