Any research topics for a undergraduate student in modern physics?

In summary, the speaker has been struggling to find a topic in modern physics to publish a paper on at the undergraduate level. They believe they are good at conducting thought experiments but are unsure of the publishability of such experiments. They have been advised to talk to a professor for guidance and have been working on improving their math skills. However, none of their professors are interested in modern physics and they are finding it difficult to come up with a unique research topic.
aditya23456
I ve browsed many sites and wasted most of my time for finding a better topic but most of my friends managed to publish papers in there interested topics(other than modern physics)..I m really desperate to publish a paper since its getting late..Can anyone please suggest a better topic in modern physics(quantum mechanics/General theory of relativity) at undergraduate level since most of these topics contain stuff which is not possible to solve at undergraduate level...Though the system appears complex I believe that I m good at conducting THOUGHT EXPERIMENTS...My heartful thanks in ADVANCE :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You really need to talk to a professor about this. No one expects undergraduate students to come up with original ideas on their own - how could you? You've only taken a few introductory courses and you probably aren't familiar with the research already done in these fields. You can't figure out what needs to be done without first knowing what's already been done. Thought experiments are generally not publishable. You'll need to at the very least do some math, and more likely, computer simulations and/or experiments. And keep in mind that most projects do not end up being interesting enough for publication. The idea is to get some experience. Try talking to your professors about possible topics you might be able to do related to their research.

But,I've been working hard by learning maths part of it.Unfortunately,none of my professors are fascinated by modern physics but they have been helpful to my other mates.I ve thoughts of appling some unused formulae's of mathematics to solve/explain present theories in much easier way,but it seems like searching for these unused formulae is difficult than applying them,so i felt knowing research topics would be helpful

1. What are some current research topics in modern physics for undergraduate students?

Some current research topics in modern physics for undergraduate students include studying quantum mechanics, exploring the properties of dark matter and dark energy, researching new materials for energy production, investigating the behavior of subatomic particles, and studying the effects of gravity on the universe.

2. How can undergraduate students get involved in research in modern physics?

Undergraduate students can get involved in research in modern physics by joining a research group or lab at their university, applying for internships at research institutions, participating in science fairs and competitions, and seeking out opportunities for independent research projects.

3. Are there any specific skills or knowledge required for research in modern physics as an undergraduate student?

While specific skills and knowledge may vary depending on the research topic, some general skills that may be helpful for undergraduate research in modern physics include a strong understanding of math and physics principles, proficiency in computer programming and data analysis, and the ability to think critically and creatively.

4. Can undergraduate research in modern physics lead to publication?

Yes, undergraduate research in modern physics can lead to publication in scientific journals or presentations at conferences. However, publication is not the main goal of undergraduate research and may not always be achieved. The main purpose of undergraduate research is to gain hands-on experience and contribute to the scientific community.

5. What are some potential benefits of conducting research in modern physics as an undergraduate student?

Some potential benefits of conducting research in modern physics as an undergraduate student include gaining practical experience in the field, developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, building a strong resume for graduate school or career opportunities, and making meaningful contributions to the field of physics.