Find f'(1), ∂g/∂s(1, 1), and ∂g/∂t(1,1).

• Thread starter s3a
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves differentiation and partial differentiation, and the correct answers are f'(1) = -68, ∂g/∂s(1, 1) = 14, and ∂g/∂t(1, 1) = -136. The solution process involves differentiating each component of F(2 – 3t + 2t^2, 19 – 27t + 9t^2, -4 + 3t + 2t^2) to get f'(t) = F(-3 + 4t, -27 + 18t, 3 + 4t), plugging in the values and then differentiating the components of
s3a

Homework Statement

The problem is attached.

The correct answers are:
f'(1) = -68
∂g/∂s(1, 1) = 14
∂g/∂t(1, 1) = -136

Homework Equations

Differentiation and partial differentiation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm at the f'(1) part. I differentiated each component of F(2 – 3t + 2t^2, 19 – 27t + 9t^2, -4 + 3t + 2t^2) to get f'(t) = F(-3 + 4t, -27 + 18t, 3 + 4t) and then f'(1) = F(1, -9, 7). I'm not entirely certain if what I did is correct so far. If it is, what do I do next? If I omitted something important, tell me.

Any help in solving this problem would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Problem.jpg
    Problem.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me.

Now differentiate the components of g(s,t) first with respect to s, then with respect to t, and plug in (1, 1) just like before.

Wait I misread this. Something is off...

My answer differs from the correct answer quite a bit ;). Thanks anyways though.

If someone else knows, please help me.

1. What is f'(1)?

F'(1) is the derivative of the function f(x) at the point x = 1.

2. What does ∂g/∂s(1,1) represent?

∂g/∂s(1,1) represents the partial derivative of the function g(s,t) with respect to the variable s, evaluated at the point (s=1, t=1).

3. How is ∂g/∂t(1,1) different from ∂g/∂s(1,1)?

∂g/∂t(1,1) and ∂g/∂s(1,1) are both partial derivatives of the same function g(s,t), but with respect to different variables. ∂g/∂t(1,1) represents the rate of change of g with respect to t at the point (s=1, t=1), while ∂g/∂s(1,1) represents the rate of change of g with respect to s at the same point.

4. How do I find f'(1) and ∂g/∂s(1,1) and ∂g/∂t(1,1)?

To find f'(1), you can use the definition of the derivative or use differentiation rules. To find the partial derivatives ∂g/∂s(1,1) and ∂g/∂t(1,1), you can use the definition of partial derivatives or use partial differentiation rules.

5. Why is it important to find f'(1) and ∂g/∂s(1,1) and ∂g/∂t(1,1)?

Knowing the derivatives of a function at a specific point allows us to understand the behavior of the function at that point. It also helps us solve optimization problems and find the rate of change of a function in different directions. These derivatives are also essential in many areas of science, such as physics, economics, and engineering.