Can a simple plywood attachment save you money on gas while driving?

In summary, attaching a piece of plywood to the front of your car in order to save gas while driving behind a truck will not work. The truck itself is pushing the air out of the way, creating a pocket of stagnant air for you to drive in. However, attaching plywood to your car does not have the same effect as your car's engine is still responsible for pushing the air out of the way. In fact, it may even waste more gas due to the poor aerodynamic properties of the plywood. Using a magnet to pull your car forward will also not save gas.
MrPeanut
So, I have been thinking about this idea for a long time. I have heard that if you travel behind a semi-truck, then you drive within a pocket of stagnant air behind the truck and will end up using less gas because of this... My question is, if I attached a large piece of plywood in front of my car to a long metal bar mounted to my car, with the plywood being perpendicular to the ground and parallel to the front of my car, then would I be able to use less gas on my trip? I really really need to save money on gas.. I have attached a schematic image depicting the situation. Tell me if I will use less gas on my trip.

carwin.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You will not save any gas. The reason you save gas by being behind a large truck is because the truck itself is doing the work and pushing the air out of the way. The air in the pocket is moving along with the truck and you simply drive up into it. Attaching plywood to the front of your car doesn't do anything as your car is still what has to push the air out of the way. (Or rather your car's engine still has to provide the power to push it out of the way since the wood is attached to your car.)

Or rather, it DOES serve to waste even more gas as a piece of plywood attached to the car has terrible aerodynamic properties. You will increase the air resistance to beyond that of the least aerodynamic vehicle I can think of.

BTW, replacing the plywood with a big magnet (to pull your car forward) will also not save any gas :)

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It is caused by the frictional forces of air molecules colliding with the surface of the object.

2. How does air resistance affect the speed of an object?

Air resistance increases as the speed of an object increases. This means that the faster an object moves through the air, the more air resistance it will experience, causing it to slow down.

3. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a falling object?

Air resistance can cause a falling object to have a different trajectory than expected. As the object falls, air resistance increases, which can cause the object to slow down and deviate from its expected path.

4. Can air resistance be reduced?

Air resistance can be reduced by making an object more streamlined or by decreasing its surface area. This reduces the amount of friction between the object and the air, allowing it to move more easily through the air.

5. How does air resistance differ for different objects?

The amount of air resistance an object experiences depends on its size, shape, and speed. Objects with a larger surface area and a slower speed will experience more air resistance compared to smaller, streamlined objects moving at a higher speed.