Can a 14-Year-Old Legally Build a Cyclotron?

In summary, the conversation discusses the legality and potential dangers of building a cyclotron accelerator, particularly for a fourteen year old. It is advised to wait and gain more experience before attempting such a project, and it is mentioned that a license would not be accessible to a minor. The conversation also touches on the costs and technical aspects of building a cyclotron. Ultimately, it is concluded that attempting this project at a young age could be dangerous and irresponsible.
Zachel42
Ok , so I was wondering if you could legally build a cyclotron accelerator , I am fourteen years old , so if there are any permits required , would they be accessible by a fourteen year old? , I realize it has the potential to produce ionization radiation , and that's the part that i think i might need a permit for , and if i do (assuming building one in the first place is legal at all) would that permit be accessible to a fourteen year old ? , If not , would I be able to have a parent acquire that permit and I still operate it ? , I know it would take a long time to build , which is why i wish to start now , because i do (if within legal boundaries) wish to use it as my senior project , I have read several books on particle accelerators ,and i believe i (along with a few friends ) would be able to , but before i proceed ,i want to make sure I am not committing a crime .

Physics news on Phys.org

sorry if i posted this in the wrong thread , i just assumed it would be quantum mechanics because it has to do with accelerating ionized hydrogen

First issue- cost...it will cost quite a pretty penny to acquire the raw materials needed.
Second issue- age/inexperience...i will not judge wether or not you have the know;edge to build this machine, but do to the dangers present, and possible miss-calculation on part of the third party, eg- friends, I don't know safe it would be... My advice...just wait.
I like your enthusiasm though, keep it up, if physics is your thing, STICK TO IT!

Thanks ,but miscalculation wouldn't be a problem with the 3rd party, as much as it would be with me , luckily I have a friend who is a genius when it comes to mathamatics , as in solving equations given to my father(who is in colleauge) , in linear algebra faster than my father can , which is really surprising considoring were both in the 7th grade ,Im more of a hardware and engineering guy , than a mathmatician(the highest level math I've done is basic calc ,( partial differetiation , and a bit of integration) , but costwise , 7000$-8000$ , is the budget(at the moment) which probably isn't near enough , do u think you could give us a cost estimate ? , and thank you for the encouragement , and your probably right , were too young to be building something like that , but if achieved , I am sure we would get a nifty grade on our senior project , i have looked at some previous designs and it doesn't seem too complex , the manipulation of the magnetic field might be the toughest part , but again the 3rd parties at my disposal are extremely smart,but all in all (asuming we could do it in all legality , and costwise)i believe we would be able to .

Oh and the part we might need some advice on , we wouldn't know where to start when it comes to the vacuum , any advice?

First, if you can't follow the forum rules in regards to text speak, there is no reason to believe you will follow the necessary procedure to do this safely.

Second, there are licensing issues, and a minor will not be able to get a license. If we don't let 14 year olds drive a car, do you really think we will let them do nuclear experiments?

Finally, it's evident from your posts that you don't have the knowledge and experience to do this safely. Helping you injure yourself or others would be irresponsible on our parts.

Thread closed.

1. Can a 14-year-old legally build a cyclotron on their own?

No, a 14-year-old cannot legally build a cyclotron on their own. The construction of a cyclotron requires advanced knowledge and expertise in physics and engineering, and most 14-year-olds do not possess the necessary skills or resources to build one independently.

2. Can a 14-year-old assist in building a cyclotron under adult supervision?

It is possible for a 14-year-old to assist in building a cyclotron under adult supervision. However, the level of involvement will depend on the individual's skills and knowledge and the specific tasks assigned by the supervising adult.

3. Are there any age restrictions for working with radioactive materials in building a cyclotron?

Yes, there are age restrictions for working with radioactive materials in building a cyclotron. In most countries, individuals must be at least 18 years old to handle radioactive materials, and there are strict regulations and safety protocols in place for their use.

4. Do 14-year-olds need any special permits or licenses to work on a cyclotron project?

It is unlikely that a 14-year-old would need any special permits or licenses to work on a cyclotron project. However, they may need to undergo specific training and receive clearance from the supervising adult and any relevant authorities before handling any equipment or materials.

5. Can a 14-year-old legally own a cyclotron?

No, a 14-year-old cannot legally own a cyclotron. In most cases, the construction and ownership of a cyclotron require significant financial resources and a high level of expertise, making it unlikely for a 14-year-old to legally own one.