Anyone Studying CFD and Combustion?

• Thread starter Aero51
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, the conversation revolves around studying and researching CFD and combustion, specifically in the field of gas turbines. The company mentioned sells test rigs for this purpose, but the data collected is proprietary. The speaker suggests seeking employment or an internship with engine OEM's for access to this knowledge base. One person shares their positive experience studying turbulent combustion and spray combustion, while another is interested in researching turbulent combustion modeling in HCCI engines with CFD. The challenges and current research in HCCI are mentioned, and the importance of attending conferences and talking to others in the field is emphasized.
Aero51
Hey, I'm just curious if anyone is studying/ has studied CFD and combustion. I'm going to be entering graduate school soon in this field and would like to hear about others experiences. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The company I work for sells test rigs for studying combustion in gas turbines. The people who buy them invest millions to study combustion, and have been collecting data for decades. But it is proprietary so they keep it to themselves. If you want access to this knowledge base, you might seek employment or internship from one of the engine OEM's.

Well... I liked it! It is a nice combination of interesting physics, tough mathematics, numerical methods and high-tech practical applications. Also, I was never out of a job after I finished

Nice, what aspect did you study? Right now I am pretty sure I will be researching turbulent combustion modeling in HCCI engines with CFD.

I studied mostly turbulent combustion and spray combustion, PDF methods and flamelet methods.
HCCI is a very hot topic right now, with some very interesting challenges. Especially with regards to controlling ignition delay and certain unwanted combustion products. In the US I only know the group in Berkeley and Stanford doing HCCI, but probably almost any combustion group is investigating it. Make sure to go to a conference and talk to other people in the field. Input from other people, especially from outside your own group, can give some nice insights.

Yeah I hope to attend a few. I am really excited to learn some thermodynamics too. I've been teaching myself statistical thermodynamics and I find the subject incredibly rich.

1. What is combustion?

Combustion is a chemical reaction between a fuel and an oxidant that produces heat and light. It is also known as burning.

2. What are the types of combustion?

There are three types of combustion: complete, incomplete, and spontaneous. Complete combustion occurs when there is enough oxygen present to completely convert the fuel into carbon dioxide and water. Incomplete combustion occurs when there is not enough oxygen present, resulting in the production of carbon monoxide and other harmful byproducts. Spontaneous combustion occurs when a substance self-ignites without an external source of heat or flame.

3. How does combustion occur?

Combustion occurs when a fuel and an oxidant (usually oxygen) are brought together in the presence of heat. The fuel and oxidant combine to form new chemical compounds, releasing energy in the form of heat and light.

4. What factors affect combustion?

The rate and efficiency of combustion can be affected by several factors including the type of fuel, the amount of oxygen present, the temperature, and the concentration of reactants and products. Other factors such as pressure, surface area, and the presence of catalysts can also impact combustion.

5. How is combustion studied?

Combustion is studied through a variety of experimental and theoretical methods. Experimental methods involve conducting controlled experiments in a laboratory setting to observe and measure the combustion process. Theoretical methods involve using mathematical models and simulations to predict and understand combustion behavior. Combustion research is also conducted through computer simulations and field studies.