Adapting touch sensor to mechanical control system

In summary, the conversation discusses working with the MPR121 capacitive sensor for detecting a toolhead's distance above a work surface. Freescale has published materials about this chip, but they are focused on sensing a person's finger rather than a chunk of metal attached to a machine. The speaker suggests that optical sensing may be a better approach due to the low capacitance and noisy environment.
lkoren
Hi. I've just started working with the MPR121 capacitive sensor (at the moment I'm working with the MPR121 breakout board sold by sparkfun) for an application that involves detecting a toolhead's distance above a work surface. It's not a problem to ground part of the tool head and some initial tests I've done with breadboard and tinfoil electrodes suggest this might be workable. Based on this we're ready to start doing some PCB prototyping.

Freescale has published a lot of material about this chip, including a design guideline discussing best practices for electrode design. However, all this material seems to be based on the assumption that what you are sensing is a person, specifically a finger attached to a person. We are trying to sense a chunk of metal attached to a machine, in a somewhat noisy electrical environment (steppers going on/off, uController doing all sorts of stuff, a few amps flowing through various parts of the tool head).

I was just curious if there are any tips or resources out there for deploying capacitive sensing in this sort of context.

L

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think the combination of very low capacitance, plus a noisy environment would make this approach troublesome.

Optical sensing would be my guess for the best approach. That eliminated the electrical noise.

1. How does a touch sensor work in a mechanical control system?

A touch sensor is a type of sensor that detects touch or pressure and converts it into an electrical signal. In a mechanical control system, the touch sensor is connected to the mechanism or machine and when it senses touch, it sends a signal to the control system to activate or deactivate the corresponding action.

2. Can any touch sensor be adapted to a mechanical control system?

It depends on the type of touch sensor and the specific mechanical control system. Some touch sensors may be more suitable for certain systems, while others may not be compatible at all. It is important to carefully consider the requirements and capabilities of both the touch sensor and the mechanical control system before attempting to adapt them.

3. What are the benefits of using a touch sensor in a mechanical control system?

Using a touch sensor in a mechanical control system can provide more precise and responsive control. It also eliminates the need for physical buttons or switches, reducing the risk of mechanical failure or wear. Additionally, touch sensors can be more user-friendly and convenient for operators.

4. Are there any limitations to using a touch sensor in a mechanical control system?

One potential limitation is that touch sensors may not be as reliable in harsh or extreme environments, such as high temperatures or heavy vibrations. They may also require more frequent maintenance and calibration compared to traditional mechanical controls. Additionally, touch sensors may not be suitable for all types of control systems, depending on the complexity and function of the system.

5. How can I ensure the successful adaptation of a touch sensor to a mechanical control system?

Proper planning, testing, and implementation are key to successfully adapting a touch sensor to a mechanical control system. It is important to thoroughly understand the capabilities and requirements of both the touch sensor and the control system, and to carefully integrate them to ensure compatibility and functionality. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the system can also help to ensure its continued success.