Hubbles's law and the Dark Energy Component

In summary, when it was discovered that distant Type 1a supernovae were fainter than otherwise predicted and it was concluded that the universe was accelerating in its expansion rather than contracting, this led to the idea of a dark energy component. The observations could have other explanations, but the conclusion is theory dependent and the theory could change in the future. DarK Energy is also useful to make up the 'missing mass' of the universe all 73% of it! Another 'epicycle' along the way?
Lacy33
"RE: Hubble's law is WHAT is driving the
expansion: the not so recent Findings (last 10-5 yrs)
is that
experimentally it looks like there is a dark energy
component."
Question:
At what point does Hubble's Law begin to suggest this
dark energy component?

Suzanne Elizabeth Seitz

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Question:
At what point does Hubble's Law begin to suggest this
dark energy component?
When it was discovered that distant Type 1a supernovae were fainter than otherwise predicted and it was concluded that the universe was accelerating in its expansion rather than contracting.

Note this conclusion is theory dependent and the observations could have other explanations. DarK Energy is also useful to make up the 'missing mass' of the universe all 73% of it! Another 'epicycle' along the way?
Garth

Last edited:
Garth said:
When it was discovered that distant Type 1a supernovae were fainter than otherwise predicted and it was concluded that the universe was accelerating in its expamsion rather than contracting.

Note this conclusion is theory dependent and the observations could have other explanations. DarK Energy is also useful to make up the 'missing mass' of the universe al 73% of it!
Garth

An advisor said:
"It seems impossible to explain from a fundamental quantum gravity theory.
Theorists want to have as few 'given's as possible)."

Do you have any thoughts which way this particular situation with the Hubble's Law may go and is there a point when theory goes into darkness and becomes "ugly"?

If you look at some of my other posts you will see I consider that the standard BB model has already become 'ugly', hence my added reference to 'epicycles'.
Viz:
1 The horizon, smoothness and density problems in the unadulterated GR cosmology required Inflation as a 'fix'. Inflation requires the Higgs boson this has not been discovered after nearly 30 years of intensive research.
2. The standard GR + Inflation model required Dark Matter to explain galactic rotation profiles. DM has not been identified in the laboratory even after again about 30 years of intensive research.
3. The standard GR + Inflation + DM model required Dark Energy to explain cosmological acceleration and make up the cosmological density to that of critical density for geometric flatness of space-time. Nobody has any idea what DE is although there are as many guesses as papers on the subject! Cosmological constant, quintessence, leaky membranes etc. etc.
Garth

That should do it!

Thank you Garth for taking the time to explain the details.
What jolly fun you scientists must be having.

Your other post are of great interest and I will look at the conversations on this subject

I noticed your comment at the bottom of your posts on laughing at one's self.

I feel that must be the single most truthful comment I have encountered on any public forum!

Suzanne

1. What is Hubble's law?

Hubble's law is a fundamental principle in cosmology which states that the further away a galaxy is from us, the faster it appears to be moving away from us. This is due to the expansion of the universe.

2. How was Hubble's law discovered?

Hubble's law was discovered by American astronomer Edwin Hubble in the 1920s. He observed that the spectra of galaxies showed a redshift, indicating that they were moving away from us. By measuring the distance and velocity of these galaxies, he was able to formulate the law.

3. What is the role of dark energy in Hubble's law?

Dark energy is a mysterious force that is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. In Hubble's law, the presence of dark energy is taken into account when calculating the velocity of galaxies and their distance from us.

4. How does dark energy fit into the current understanding of the universe?

Dark energy is one of the most pressing mysteries in modern cosmology. It is estimated to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe, but its exact nature is still unknown. It is believed to be the driving force behind the expansion of the universe, but further research is needed to fully understand its role.

5. Can Hubble's law and dark energy be proven?

Hubble's law has been observed and confirmed through various astronomical observations and experiments. As for dark energy, there is currently no direct evidence for its existence, but its effects can be seen in the expansion of the universe. Scientists are continuously working to gather more data and develop new theories to better understand this elusive component of our universe.