How to find verify solution to differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving partial derivatives. The person asking for guidance explains their approach to solving a differential equation and asks for help with a specific problem. Another person gives guidance on finding the partial derivatives and using the chain rule. The summary also includes a brief mention of formatting issues and the use of LaTeX.
digipony

Homework Statement

See attached photo

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start on this problem. Usually, if I am given a possible solution to a DE, say y(t)=cos(t) as a solution to y''-y'+y=sin(t), I find whether it was a solution or not by manipulating it and then plugging it into the second equation that it may be a solution to and then seeing whether the resulting statement is true. For the ex. problem I give in this section, I would do this:
y'= -sint
y''= -cost
then sub them in: -cost +sint +cost = sint
and by simplifying get: sint = sint
so for this case, it y=cost is a solution.
But with the problem that is in the attached photo I have no idea what to do.

Does anyone have an guidance as to how I can solve the attached problem?

Attachments

• diffeq.JPG
    diffeq.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 511
Physics news on Phys.org
digipony said:

Homework Statement

See attached photo

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start on this problem. Usually, if I am given a possible solution to a DE, say y(t)=cos(t) as a solution to y''-y'+y=sin(t), I find whether it was a solution or not by manipulating it and then plugging it into the second equation that it may be a solution to and then seeing whether the resulting statement is true. For the ex. problem I give in this section, I would do this:
y'= -sint
y''= -cost
then sub them in: -cost +sint +cost = sint
and by simplifying get: sint = sint
so for this case, it y=cost is a solution.
But with the problem that is in the attached photo I have no idea what to do.

Does anyone have an guidance as to how I can solve the attached problem?
Here's the "photo":

attachment.php?attachmentid=50458&d=1346730413.jpg

Well, find [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial x} f(x-ct)[/itex] and then the partial with respect to x of that.

Do the same with partials with respect to t.

Then plug all that in.

I don't have much experience with partial derivatives, am I on the right track here: the first partial derivative with respect to x, [tex]\displaystyle\frac{\partial}{\partial x} f(x-ct)[/tex] be: 1, therefore the second would be 0?

Sorry for the formatting on that, I had not even heard of LateX before finding this site.
Oh never mind this, it's fixed.

Last edited:
digipony said:
I don't have much experience with partial derivatives, am I on the right track here: the first partial derivative with respect to x, [tex]\displaystyle\frac{\partial}{\partial x} f(x-ct)[/tex] be: 1, therefore the second would be 0?

No.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial x} f(x-ct) = (1)\cdot f'(x-ct)\,,[/itex] because d/dx (x) = 1 .

Similarly [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial t} f(x-ct) = (-c)\cdot f'(x-ct)\,.[/itex]

Oh, so that's what the reference to chain rule was about! Thank you! :smile:

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves variables, functions, and their rates of change.

2. How do I solve a differential equation?

To solve a differential equation, you need to find the function that satisfies the equation. This can be done through various techniques, such as separation of variables, substitution, or using an integrating factor.

3. What is the importance of verifying a solution to a differential equation?

Verifying a solution to a differential equation is important because it ensures that the solution is valid and satisfies the given equation. It also helps to identify any errors or mistakes made during the solving process.

4. What are some common methods for verifying a solution to a differential equation?

Some common methods for verifying a solution to a differential equation include substituting the solution into the equation, graphing the solution and the equation to check for intersections, and performing a numerical check by plugging in values for the variables.

5. Can a differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because there are often many different functions that can satisfy the given equation and its initial conditions.