Sophomore engineering major, is this planned schedule going to be too difficult?

In summary, the speaker is currently enrolled in the TAG program at UCD and is concerned about fulfilling the agreement by taking required courses such as modern physics/optics, diff eq, materials, and circuits/devices. They are considering a major in materials or civil engineering, but are struggling with their current courses in electricity, statics, linear algebra, and programming. They are seeking advice on whether or not this schedule for next semester will negatively impact their GPA and if they should consider applying for a different engineering major at UCSD.
SlothNast
Hi, I am currently signed up for the TAG at UCD. However, I noticed that in order to fulfill this agreement, I have to take the following courses next semester: modern physics / optics, diff eq, materials, and circuits/devices. Primarily, I am looking to be a mat. engineer major, maybe civil depending on the school. As a reference, I am in electricity, statics, linear algebra, and programming right now, and physics is kicking my butt. IS this schedule next semester worth the potential drop in my gpa? Or should I just apply my tag to ucsd as a chem engineer or something. Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
That schedule really isn't so bad--IMO, of course.

1. Will I have enough time to balance my coursework with extracurricular activities and a social life?

It depends on your time management skills and the specific demands of your coursework. It is important to prioritize and make a schedule to ensure you have enough time for everything. It may also be helpful to seek advice from upperclassmen or academic advisors.

2. How much math and science will I have to take as an engineering major?

The amount of math and science courses required for an engineering major varies depending on the specific program and school. Generally, you can expect to take courses in calculus, physics, chemistry, and possibly other areas of science. It is important to check your program's curriculum to see the specific requirements.

3. How many hours per week should I expect to spend on studying and completing assignments?

The amount of time needed to study and complete assignments will vary depending on the difficulty of your coursework, your study habits, and your personal learning style. As a general rule, you should expect to spend 2-3 hours studying for each hour of class time. This means that for a 15-credit course load, you should plan to spend 30-45 hours per week on studying and completing assignments.

4. Will I have to take any hands-on courses or labs?

Engineering majors typically have hands-on courses and labs as part of their curriculum. These courses are important for gaining practical experience and applying theoretical concepts. Some programs may require more hands-on courses than others, so it is important to check your program's curriculum to see what is required.

5. What resources are available to help me succeed as an engineering major?

Most universities offer resources to help students succeed in their coursework, such as tutoring services, academic advisors, and study groups. Additionally, many engineering departments have student organizations and clubs that can provide support and guidance. Don't be afraid to reach out for help when needed!