Good Math Major, Bad GRE Quant score?

In summary, a person is concerned about their low GRE Quant score of 161, despite having a strong resume with graduate coursework, REUs, and a high GPA. They are debating whether to retake the test and are also taking the Subject GRE in 9 days. They mention struggling with the first section of the GRE and running out of time, but are unsure of what went wrong. They are advised to focus on identifying and fixing the issue before taking the Subject GRE. It is suggested that a high score on the Subject GRE could potentially make up for the low Quant score on the General GRE.
l'Hôpital
Hey all,

So I took the General GRE, and I did rather poorly in the GRE Quant score (161). However, most of my resume and the likes would point otherwise (typical stuff like graduate coursework, two REUs, 3.9 GPA, etc.)

How concerned should I be about this? Should I retake it? I'm taking the Subject GRE in about 9 days. If I do really well, would it make up for it?

I'm at the point where I'm slowly freaking out haha.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you identified what happened in the GRE that made your quant score so low?

I dunno. I sort of freaked out for the first section, and actually eve nran out of time. Then the next two sections I did went fine, just...I don't know. It's scary.

Well, maybe you need to focus on figuring out what went wrong with the first general GRE and try to fix it before tacking on the subject one ( For math?) Look up stuff for test anxiety (I can't spell :P ) good luck to you mate!

Also, I would asume a high Subject GRE would replace the bad quant score on the general (just assuming)

I can understand your concern about your GRE Quant score. However, I would like to remind you that standardized tests like the GRE are just one aspect of your overall profile and should not be the sole determinant of your abilities as a math major. Your coursework, research experience, and GPA are all strong indicators of your skills and potential in the field of mathematics.

That being said, it is always a good idea to strive for a well-rounded profile and a good GRE score can definitely add to it. If you have the time and resources to retake the exam, it may be worth considering. However, keep in mind that a single test score does not define you and should not be a source of excessive stress or anxiety.

Additionally, the Subject GRE can also help showcase your knowledge and aptitude in mathematics. If you do well on this exam, it may help balance out your lower Quant score on the General GRE. Ultimately, the admissions committee will consider your entire profile, not just one test score.

In summary, while a good GRE score can be beneficial, it is not the be-all and end-all. Focus on showcasing your strengths and experiences in your application and try not to let one score overshadow your achievements. Best of luck on your exams!

What is a "Good Math Major, Bad GRE Quant score"?

A "Good Math Major, Bad GRE Quant score" refers to a situation where a student has a strong academic background in mathematics, but receives a low score on the quantitative section of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). This can be a frustrating experience for students who are otherwise confident in their mathematical abilities.

Why is the GRE Quant score important for math majors?

The GRE Quant score is an important factor in graduate school admissions for math majors. It is often used as a measure of a student's aptitude for advanced mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills. A strong GRE Quant score can demonstrate a student's potential for success in graduate-level mathematics courses.

What factors can contribute to a bad GRE Quant score for a math major?

There are several factors that can contribute to a bad GRE Quant score for a math major. These may include test anxiety, unfamiliarity with the GRE format, lack of preparation, or a particular weakness in a specific area of mathematics. It is important for students to identify any potential weaknesses and work on improving them before taking the exam.

How can a math major improve their GRE Quant score?

To improve their GRE Quant score, a math major can engage in thorough preparation and practice for the exam. This may include reviewing mathematical concepts, familiarizing themselves with the GRE format, and taking practice tests. Seeking guidance from a tutor or attending a GRE prep course can also be helpful in improving performance on the exam.

Are there any alternatives to the GRE for math majors?

Yes, there are alternatives to the GRE for math majors, such as the Mathematics Subject GRE exam. This exam specifically focuses on the student's knowledge and understanding of advanced mathematical concepts. Some graduate programs may also consider the student's undergraduate coursework and grades in lieu of a GRE score. It is important for students to research the requirements of their target graduate programs to determine if there are other options available.