Screw Pump Sizing: Calculations for Inverted Pumps

In summary, a person is looking for the equations for sizing an inverted screw pump. They have eliminated the screw shaft and are using fins attached to the inside of the casing to rotate. The person is looking for information on how to design the screw pump for a granular material.
hmvyoral
Does anyone know where i can get the calculations for sizing an inverted screw pump. Inverted being that there is no screw but the fins art attached to the inside of a pipe and the pipe is rotating. I am moving any where from 150 to 400 lbs of dry powder per minute, depending on the amount of powder being produced. I don't have the exact length yet, hence why i just need the formulas. The idea is to find the diameter, fin height, spiral patern, and speed. If anyone knows where i can get the calculations i would apreciate the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hmvyoral said:
Does anyone know where i can get the calculations for sizing an inverted screw pump. Inverted being that there is no screw but the fins art attached to the inside of a pipe and the pipe is rotating. I am moving any where from 150 to 400 lbs of dry powder per minute, depending on the amount of powder being produced. I don't have the exact length yet, hence why i just need the formulas. The idea is to find the diameter, fin height, spiral patern, and speed. If anyone knows where i can get the calculations i would apreciate the help.

Use the equations for a regular screw pump. It doesn't matter whether the screw is rotating and the casing is stationary or the casing is rotating and the screw is stationary.

Chestermiller said:
Use the equations for a regular screw pump. It doesn't matter whether the screw is rotating and the casing is stationary or the casing is rotating and the screw is stationary.

I would like to use the equations for a screw pump, but i am unable to find any online. I had figured that everything would be the same because all i did was eliminiate the screw shaft and put the fins on the wall of the casing. If you know where i can get some calculations i would apreiciated it.

Try looking in the Polymer Processing literature in the area of extrusion. They use screw pumps (extruders) to compact and melt granular and powdery solids as part of producing a polymer melt. Look under the names of Bernhardt, Tadmor, Tadmor and Klein, and Osswald. In order to design a screw pump for a granular material, you need to have some idea of the rheological behavior of the granular material on a scale somewhat larger than the particle size. I'm not sure how much work has been done in this area, since I haven't followed it. But consider looking under the subject of Deformational Behavior of Granular Materials. In a screw pump, kinetic friction on the granular bed is also important. I hope this is helpful.

Thank you, I will start looking into that. I will let you know if i find anything.

What is a screw pump?

A screw pump is a type of positive displacement pump that uses rotating screws to move fluid or gas through the pump.

How do you calculate the size of a screw pump?

The size of a screw pump is calculated based on the diameter of the screw, the pitch (distance between screw threads), and the speed of rotation. These factors are used to determine the pump's flow rate and pressure capabilities.

What is an inverted pump?

An inverted pump is a type of screw pump where the screws are mounted upside down, with the inlet at the bottom and the outlet at the top. This design allows the pump to handle high-viscosity fluids and eliminates the need for a priming mechanism.

What are the advantages of using an inverted pump?

Inverted pumps are able to handle high-viscosity fluids, making them ideal for industries such as oil and gas, chemical processing, and wastewater treatment. They also have a simple design and are easy to maintain.

How important are accurate calculations for screw pump sizing?

Accurate calculations for screw pump sizing are crucial to ensure the pump is able to meet the required flow rate and pressure for a specific application. Incorrect sizing can lead to inefficiency, increased maintenance costs, and potential failure of the pump.