Exploring Development of Human Nervous System

In summary, the development of the human nervous system can be affected by various factors such as nutritional deficits, genetic syndromes, and toxicant exposure. As for the situation with the two-year-old and the visual recognition memory task, the expected response may not have been observed due to factors such as the child's attention being distracted by other toys or stimuli in the environment. The performance of such tasks is highly controlled in research settings to eliminate potential distractions.
Christophe
I have some questions : :smile:
1> Would you please tell me what slows down the development of human nervous system ?
2> A situation: A very cute two year old baby was playing with his toys: I let him see a pink ball, ten times. Then let him see a blue ball. I tried to observe his actions and his eyes but found nothing the same as what my book says that his attention should be differernt from the previous times.
I tried again twenty times but indifferent either. How could I explain this situation ?
Thank you

-Christophe

Biology news on Phys.org
To your first question...it's a little broad, do you mean "slow down" as in simply delay development and then it catches up later or are you looking for a permanent alteration in function? Some things that come to mind are certain nutritional deficits leading to general developmental problems, i.e. hypothyroidism, any number of genetic syndromes, hypoxia during birth, toxicant exposure...

Your second question, I assume, is looking to test some aspect of visual recognition memory (?). I'm not sure how your book describes the performance of the task but the one I'm familiar with shows pictures to infants and measures their residence time on each image and small group of images is shown repetitively and then novel pictures are mixed in. The childs point of attention is captured by cameras and later analyzed for looking times which should be longer for the novel stimulus than the previously viewed (and recognized) images.

What the exact difference in fixation time typically is, I'm not sure and probably varies depending on how the task is performed, age of child, etc. Also it's not just a measure of how long they look, but how often as well and then a percentage of time looking at the novel stimulus is calculated. One paper I have using this task saw fixation to novelty for 67% percent of the looking time in the control group, not that far of from 50% and probably hard for you to judge just by eye. This might explain why you didn't observe the expected response, also if the room in which you did the test was distracting, other toys, people, etc, that may have clouded the results. The environments in which these test are performed are highly controlled and try their best to eliminate any potential distractions to the subject.

1. There are several factors that can slow down the development of the human nervous system. These include genetic disorders, environmental factors such as exposure to toxins or malnutrition, and certain medical conditions or injuries. Additionally, the complexity of the nervous system and its constant growth and development can also contribute to a slower rate of development.

2. It is important to remember that every child develops at their own pace and may not always exhibit the exact behaviors or reactions that are described in a book. It is possible that the child may have already become familiar with the pink ball and was not as interested in it anymore, causing a similar reaction to the blue ball. It is also important to consider other factors such as the child's mood, energy level, and overall development. It is best to observe and track a child's development over time rather than relying on a single instance. If you have concerns about a child's development, it is always best to consult with a medical professional.

What is the human nervous system?

The human nervous system is a complex network of nerves and cells that transmit signals between different parts of the body. It is responsible for controlling and coordinating various bodily functions, including movement, sensation, and thought.

How does the human nervous system develop?

The human nervous system develops through a process called neurodevelopment, which begins in the early stages of embryonic development. It involves the formation and differentiation of neural cells, as well as the development of intricate networks of connections between these cells.

What factors influence the development of the human nervous system?

The development of the human nervous system is influenced by a variety of factors, including genetics, environment, and experiences. Genetic factors play a significant role in determining the basic structure and function of the nervous system, while environmental factors such as nutrition, exposure to toxins, and prenatal care can also impact its development.

What are the stages of human nervous system development?

The development of the human nervous system can be divided into three main stages: neural induction, neural proliferation, and neural migration. Neural induction is the initial process of forming neural tissue, neural proliferation involves the rapid growth and multiplication of neural cells, and neural migration is the movement of these cells to their final destinations in the body.

What happens if the human nervous system does not develop properly?

If the human nervous system does not develop properly, it can result in a variety of neurological disorders and developmental disabilities. These can include conditions such as cerebral palsy, autism, and intellectual disabilities, which can have a significant impact on a person's physical, cognitive, and emotional functioning.