Help wanted in solving this equation

• Thread starter paula1980
  • Start date
In summary: I finally got it and it worked out perfectly.In summary, the person is struggling to solve an equation and is looking for help. They have tried different methods and are still not sure if they are doing it correctly.
paula1980
Hello:

I have been trying to solve the following equation on MathCad or Excel, however its been quite a struggle :(

Can anyone please able to help me?

As you can see in the equation below, I have to plot the value of hc but its located on both right and left side of the equation. All other variable (ao, f and v etc.) are constants.

http://s9.postimage.org/cvr73gwel/help.png

Any help is REALLY appreciated. Thank you for your time and help.

Attachments

• help.png
    help.png
    2 KB · Views: 433
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of plotting hc, try to solve your equation by iteration. Guess a value of hc, plug it into the RHS, and see how close you are so that LHS = RHS.

Alternately, you can rearrange your original expression so that RHS - LHS = 0 = y.

Then you can plot a curve of hc versus y to find out the value of hc which satisfies the original equation.

Well, there's one solution of the equation that can be found by inspection of the equation itself: ##h_c = 0##.

For any others (I suspect there's only one more real one from a quick plot of x - ln|x+1|), it's possible to express the solution in terms of the Lambert-W function it looks like, but it's probably easiest to just do as SteamKing advised.

Thanks Steamking and Mute for your prompt responses! Do appreciate it.

I have tried following steamking's advice but still have a sense of unsurity if I did this correctly.
Please have a look at the attached Excel file, where I have tried modelling this and, if possible, provide a feedback.

I am finding it a little tricky to grasp how one can have LHS = RHS in this equation. FYI, I have attached the equation also in the spreadsheet..its presented in a slightly different manner but is same equation as before.

Thanks.

Attachments

• P-Calculation.xls
    98.5 KB · Views: 320
This situation occurs frequently.

Using your spreadsheet, another value which satisfies the relation is hc = 1.585

SteamKing said:
This situation occurs frequently.

Using your spreadsheet, another value which satisfies the relation is hc = 1.585

That answer is not close to correct. According to the paper I am reading it should be near 25-30 range. Again its possible I may have made a mistake somewhere but thanks for your help!

Try something like Newton's Method. Or maybe a bisection method.

I found the answer...please see the attachment. I simply needed to substrate Hc-Hc...when the difference is close to zero, that value of Hc corresponds to the answer I was seeking which was around 18 (although in the paper it states around 25) but with my variables I am obtained 18.

Thanks everyone for your help particularly SteamKing.

Attachments

• P-Calculation (Solved).xls
    99 KB · Views: 289

1. How do I solve this equation?

To solve an equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This involves addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. You can also use algebraic properties to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.

2. What are the steps for solving an equation?

The steps for solving an equation are as follows: 1) Simplify the equation by combining like terms, 2) Isolate the variable by using inverse operations, 3) Check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation, and 4) If the solution checks out, then it is the correct answer.

3. How do I know which operation to use when solving an equation?

The operation you use depends on the variable you are trying to isolate. For example, if the variable is being multiplied, you will need to divide to isolate it. If the variable is being added, you will need to subtract to isolate it. Remember to use inverse operations to keep the equation balanced.

4. What do I do if there are variables on both sides of the equation?

If there are variables on both sides of the equation, you will need to simplify the equation first by combining like terms. Then, use inverse operations to isolate the variable on one side. Finally, move all constants to the other side of the equation to solve for the variable.

5. How do I check if my solution is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, simply plug it back into the original equation. If both sides of the equation are equal, then your solution is correct. If they are not equal, you will need to recheck your steps and calculations to find any errors.