Integration of a trig function > 0

In summary: This will give you an expression that works for all values of p.In summary, the task at hand is to take the integral of a function over one cycle, but only for the portions greater than zero. The function includes a phase angle, frequency, and zero crossings, which are used as limits of integration. However, for certain values of the phase angle, the resulting expression does not give the desired result. An alternate approach is suggested, involving two integrals over the entire cycle, which can accommodate all values of the phase angle.
MechEMike
I need to take the integral of the following function over one cycle.

[itex]y(t) = sin(wt)cos(wt-p)[/itex]

p is a phase angle that exist from 0 to pi. w is a frequency.

This would be pretty straightforward, but I need to take the integral only of the portions of the function that are greater than zero.
I need to do this for an efficiency analysis, where the negative portion of the cycle is waste energy and don't contribute to average power. I need an symbolic expression.

The zero crossings are at t1 = pi/w and t2 = pi/(2w) + p/w which I had been using as limits of integration.

[itex]\int ^{t_2}_{0} y(t) dt - \int ^{t_2}_{t_1} y(t) dt[/itex]

The resulting expression is correct for values of for 0<=p <= pi/2. Above p = pi/2 though, the expression does not give me the result I need, because for p> pi/2, t2<t1 and the result of

[itex] \int ^{t_2}_{t_1} y(t) dt[/itex]

changes sign.

I am not sure how to get around this. Any help would be...helpful. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest an alternate approach. cos(wt-p) = coswtcosp + sinwtsinp, so you can then have two integrals from 0 to 2π/w. cosp∫sinwtcoswtdt + sinp∫sin2wtdt.

1. What does it mean to integrate a trig function greater than zero?

Integrating a trigonometric function greater than zero means finding the area under the curve of the function when it is positive. This is usually done by finding the indefinite integral of the function and evaluating it at specific limits.

2. How is the integration of a trig function greater than zero different from finding the integral of a regular function?

The main difference is that the integration of a trig function greater than zero involves using trigonometric identities and formulas to solve the integral. It also requires evaluating the integral at specific limits, rather than just finding the indefinite integral.

3. Why is it important to integrate trig functions greater than zero?

Integrating trig functions greater than zero is important in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows us to solve problems involving motion, waves, and periodic phenomena, among others.

4. What techniques can be used to integrate a trig function greater than zero?

Some common techniques for integrating trig functions greater than zero include using trigonometric identities, substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. The specific technique used will depend on the form of the function being integrated.

5. Are there any tips for solving tricky integrals of trig functions greater than zero?

One helpful tip is to always check for symmetry in the function before attempting to integrate. This can often simplify the integral significantly. Additionally, practicing with different types of problems and familiarizing yourself with trigonometric identities and formulas can make solving these integrals easier.