BuffettIs 1 divided by 0 undefined or infinity?

• Thread starter BigStelly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Zero
In summary, the debate in class was about whether 1 divided by zero is undefined or infinity. Some argued that it is undefined, while others pointed out that there are ways around that using limits. There was also a discussion about the historical account of zero in a book called "Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea" and the relationship between dividing anything by infinity or zero. Ultimately, it was agreed that division by zero is indefinite and there are problem-dependent methods for dealing with it. However, it was noted that the proof that (1/0) does not exist applies to all rings.

1 divided by zero=?

• Undefined

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Infinity

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other(explain):

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
BigStelly
OK recently in class some of my classmates were debating whethter 1 divided by zero is undefined or infinity. I saw both points but I am wondering what everyone else out there thinks. So 1/0= undefined or infinity or does it depend on other stuff?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Oh dear God, not again...

Dividing by zero is undefined. There are ways around that using limits; however, in those cases, you are not dividing by zero, per se.

lim(x->0)(1/x) = undefined
lim(x->0+)(1/x) = infinity
lim(x->0-)(1/x) = -infinity

Take your pick. It all depends on the question.

The interesting part is that he posted a poll...He probably meant division.All operations involving infinities & dividing through 0 are undefined...

Daniel.

I voted other: 0/1=0.

This reminds me; if you ever see a book called "Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea" and want to read it, be careful. The author frequently uses expressions like "dividing by zero/infinity". One of the passages goes like this: "[...]dividing anything by infinity gives zero; dividing anything by zero gives infinity. We can see the relationship these two numbers have throughout[...]"

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/item....talog=Books&N=35&Lang=en&Section=books&zxac=1

I am told, however, that the historical account of zero of the book is rather fascinating.

Don't read the book.Division under the reals has the property

[tex] a:b=c\Rightarrow a=b\cdot c [/tex]

You'll see that in the case of 0 or infinity,it doesn't work...(multivaluedness).

Daniel.

Define your terms. If you are working in the standard real number system, division of any number is "undefined"-literally. However, some people use "infinity" as a shorthand for "undefined": saying [itex]\lim_{x->0} \frac{1}{x}= \infty[/itex] is precisely the same as saying "the limit does not exist".

matt grime said:
Oh dear God, not again...

Yes, inevitably.
We must make sense out of the expression EyEx(x/0 = y).
Is it tautologous or is it contradictory?

i.e. is (1/0) a number?, or, is (0/0) a number?, or, is (2/0) a number? etc..

It seems contradictory to me.

As Halls said,how do you define your concepts:the concept of "number"...?

Daniel.

When x=0, the expression 1/x="multiplicative inverse of x"="the number y such that x times y equals unity" is a lot less ambiguous that 0/x, "the number y such that x times y equals zero".

Yes,but when u see the overall picture,they're both faulty.

Daniel.

i think, this question can take place on a math-FAQ.

people who think about division with zero seem to forget the meaning of division.
steps of division are, you subtract the divisior from the divdend as long as there's something remaining dividend, ie it hits 0. for each exact subtraction, add 1 to the counter (ie, division). (i'm not covering the details for fractional parts, since my purpose in telling this is to remind the definition)

so, applying this definition to 1/0: subtract 0 from 1 as long as you have a non-0, and add 1 to the counter each time. now, if you do this for 1/0, what's your counter?

similar idea can be applied to 0/0: subtract 0 from 0 until as long as you have a non-0. now, indefinitiny approcahes at this point. no matter how you repeat this (and remember that you're adding a 1 to the result in each step), it'll be valid against the definition of division. 0/0 = 5, 0/0 = 9, 0/0 = anything.

an application can be: [tex]x.0 = 0[/tex], this equation true for every value of x, ie, it's independent from the contents of x, as long as it's a valid number. dividing two sides by 0, you get [tex]x.\frac{0}{0} = \frac{0}{0}[/tex]. an equation independent from the value of x. it's pretty weird at the first glance, but if you remember what division is, the explanation reveals itself.

i'd like to emphasize that division by zero in not undefined, it's indefinite (or maybe uncertain is a better word), and there're problem-dependent methods for getting rid of the indefinition.

Last edited:
fdarkangel:
Euclid's algorithm has nothing to do with the fact that the multiplicative inverse of 0 is undefined.

I saw an interesting "proof" that illustrates the problems of dividing by zero:

a=b
a²=ab
a²-b²=ab-b²
(a-b)(a+b)=b(a-b)
(a-b)(a+b)/(a-b)=b(a-b)/(a-b)
a+b=b
2b=b
2=1

The reason it comes out wrong is because (a-b)=0

Kinda Fun.

:D

The Rev

We've had this question many times before:

It cna easily be shown in any ring that:

a*0 = a(b - b) = a(b - b) + 0 = a(b - b) + ab - (ab) = a(b - b + b) - (ab) = ab - (ab) = 0

i.e. a*0 = 0 for all 'a';

define divison by:

a = b/c iff a*c = b

let a = 1/0 therefore a*0 = 1, but a*0 = 0 for all 'a' so there is no 'a' which cna be identifed with 1/0.

jcsd said:
We've had this question many times before:

It cna easily be shown in any ring that:

a*0 = a(b - b) = a(b - b) + 0 = a(b - b) + ab - (ab) = a(b - b + b) - (ab) = ab - (ab) = 0

i.e. a*0 = 0 for all 'a';

define divison by:

a = b/c iff a*c = b

let a = 1/0 therefore a*0 = 1, but a*0 = 0 for all 'a' so there is no 'a' which cna be identifed with 1/0.

Of course.

Owen Holden said:
Of course.

Anything else to add...?

The thing to note about the proof is that it applies to all rings.

arildno said:
fdarkangel:
Euclid's algorithm has nothing to do with the fact that the multiplicative inverse of 0 is undefined.

are you sure you've read my post?

jcsd said:
Anything else to add...?

Yes.
That which is equal to (1/0) does not exist.

1/x =df (the y: x*y=1), includes the definition of (1/0).

If x=0 then 1/0 = (the y:0*y=1)

But, there is no y such that: y*0=1.

That is, Ay(y*0=0).

Therefore, (the y:y*0=1) does not exist.

you mean to say there does not exist any element of x in any element of ... (a certain algebra, the most general class of al;gebras you probably wnat to consider are called the rings) which meets this definition of 1/0. General, unqaulifed staements like "1/0 doesn't exist" lack meaning in a matehmatical context.

Last edited:
jcsd said:
you mean to say there does not exist any element of x in any element of ... (a certain algebra, the most general class of algebras which meet the two requiremnts you have stipulated are called rings) which meets this definition of 1/0. General, unqaulifed staements like "1/0 doesn't exist" lack meaning in a matehmatical context.

I don't agree.

E!x =df EF(Fx).

~E!(the x:~(x=x)), is a theorem.
All objects described by contradicory predications do not exist!
They have no properties at all.

~E!x <-> ~EF(Fx).

1/0 = 1 or 2 or 1.5 or 1.2 or 1 + 5i or sqr(2) or ...

Why are we doing this, again?

so are you saying that for example in the extended complex plane 1/0 cna't be defined (hint: it can be)? 1/0 is only undefined in mathematical structures which have certain propetries.

In my mind it isn't infinite because it never even approaches it. I understand how things that approach a certain point, for example how a 1/x graph gets close to the intercepts, but never touches, then yeah at infinite it will be touching, but this never gets anywhere, so...thats my point.

fdarkangel said:
are you sure you've read my post?
Yes, I've read it. It is irrelevant to the fact that 1/0 cannot be defined in the real number system.
(Which follows from the fact that given any real number "a", a*0=0)

arildno said:
It is irrelevant to the fact that 1/0 cannot be defined in the real number system.

really?

fdarkangel said:
steps of division are, you subtract the divisior from the divdend as long as there's something remaining dividend, ie it hits 0. for each exact subtraction, add 1 to the counter (ie, division). (i'm not covering the details for fractional parts, since my purpose in telling this is to remind the definition)

so, applying this definition to 1/0: subtract 0 from 1 as long as you have a non-0, and add 1 to the counter each time. now, if you do this for 1/0, what's your counter?

can you see the definition now?

moose said:
In my mind it isn't infinite because it never even approaches it. I understand how things that approach a certain point, for example how a 1/x graph gets close to the intercepts, but never touches, then yeah at infinite it will be touching, but this never gets anywhere, so...thats my point.
What point is that? In this particular case we are not concerned with limits. We are stating that 1/0 (as a real number) is not defined for the reasons which have been shown above by jcsd. There are defined properties for the real numbers ( or fields in the more general sense) which we hold true. What has been shown is that if a number such as 1/0 were to exist, then it would contradict those properties. Hence we define that no such number can exist.

Last edited:
fdarkangel said:
really?

can you see the definition now?

Your definition of division is not the same as the definition of division on the real numbers.

master_coda said:
Your definition of division is not the same as the definition of division on the real numbers.

i guess you're implying the irrational numbers. i was not willing to expand the algoritm for non-integer results. i have never given any irrational number input. if you mean the non-integer results.. well, here it goes:

let A and B two reel numbers. subtract B from A until A is bigger or equal to zero, and add 1 to the division at each step. after this process, if A is negative, undo the one step. multiply A with 10 (or what ever the step is) and add [tex]10^{-1}[/tex] to the result after each subraction. repeat these steps until A=0, and decrement the power of 10 (to generalize, base) by 1.

however, i'd like to point that the original question is integer-wise, and this definition was uncessary.

fdarkangel said:
i guess you're implying the irrational numbers. i was not willing to expand the algoritm for non-integer results. i have never given any irrational number input. if you mean the non-integer results.. well, here it goes:

let A and B two reel numbers. subtract B from A until A is bigger or equal to zero, and add 1 to the division at each step. after this process, if A is negative, undo the one step. multiply A with 10 (or what ever the step is) and add [tex]10^{-1}[/tex] to the result after each subraction. repeat these steps until A=0, and decrement the power of 10 (to generalize, base) by 1.

however, i'd like to point that the original question is integer-wise, and this definition was uncessary.

But you attempted to extend the algorithm to try and divide by zero. Once you do that, the algorithm is no longer giving the same results as real number division.

it does, for integer results.
i expanded the algorithm to generalize. basics of both division methods are same. the initial explanations i made about 1/0 and 0/0 are still correct. please don't be so pedantic, the interger-only algorithm is consistent and sufficient enough to explain 1/0.

fdarkangel,

Again, you are wrong. Master_coda is correct. Your algorithm is, basically, junk.

Either way, this thread is just a rehash of many other similar threads here. We don't need another thread with the same arguments from the same people.

Thread closed.

- Warren

1. What does it mean to divide by zero?

Dividing by zero means dividing a number by zero, which is undefined in mathematics. It is essentially asking how many times zero can fit into a number, which is impossible to determine.

2. Why is dividing by zero undefined?

Dividing by zero is undefined because it leads to mathematical inconsistencies and contradictions. It violates the fundamental rules of arithmetic and can result in infinite or undefined values.

3. Can you solve for "1 divided by zero"?

No, it is impossible to solve for "1 divided by zero" because it is undefined. It is mathematically incorrect to divide any number by zero, as it leads to an infinite or undefined result.

4. What happens when you divide a number by a very small number close to zero?

When dividing a number by a very small number close to zero, the result approaches infinity. This is because the smaller the number becomes, the more times it can fit into the original number, resulting in a larger and larger value.

5. Are there any real-life applications for "1 divided by zero"?

No, there are no real-life applications for "1 divided by zero" as it is mathematically undefined. In real-life situations, dividing by zero would not make sense and is not possible to do. It is important to avoid dividing by zero in any calculations or equations.