Calculating Coefficient of Kinetic Friction for Inclined Plane Problem

• Thread starter SanityMan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the problem involves finding the coefficient of kinetic friction between a block and a plank on an inclined plane, with the coefficient being the same for both surface contacts. The direction of friction is opposite to the direction of motion, and it is important to define a coordinate system for solving the problem.
SanityMan
Okay, here is the problem I am working on...

A block of a certain weight(w2) is sliding down an inclined plane at angle theta. There is a plank on top of the block with a certain weight (w2) that is attacked to a cord at the top of the plane so that it does not move.

I need to find the coefficient of kinetic friction in terms of the masses of each block and the angle theta. The coeffecient is the same between both surface contacts.

I am using Newton's 2nd law and I'm stuck with the friction. In my free body diagram I am not sure which direction the force of friction is going between the block and the plank nor how it affects both.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you're trying to figure out directions, hopefully you defined a coordinate system first. After you've done that, think about this: in what direction is the block trying to slide past the plank? Friction always opposes this motion Likewise for the block sliding down the inclined plane.

Its better to say that Friction is a force that opposes sliding.

What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other.

What causes friction?

Friction is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surface of objects that come into contact with each other. These irregularities create resistance when they rub against each other.

What are the different types of friction?

The three main types of friction are static friction, sliding friction, and rolling friction. Static friction occurs when two surfaces are not moving relative to each other, sliding friction occurs when two surfaces are sliding against each other, and rolling friction occurs when an object rolls over a surface.

How does friction affect everyday life?

Friction plays a crucial role in our everyday lives. It allows us to walk, drive, and even hold objects without slipping. It also helps with tasks such as writing, gripping objects, and braking in vehicles.

How can we reduce friction?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. Smoother surfaces can also help reduce friction. Additionally, using wheels or ball bearings can help reduce friction by allowing objects to roll instead of slide.