Mixture problem. How to solve for C?

• Thread starter Jeff12341234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixture
In summary, the conversation discusses solving for C using differential equations to account for the difference in volume flow rate and the accumulation of chemical X in a tank. The differential equations for volume and chemical X are given, and the next step involves manipulating the equations to solve for C. An example from the book is used to demonstrate the process.
Jeff12341234
I need to solve for C. I know it's probably simple but i don't remember how to. This is what I have so far:
FgCaDxf.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the volume flow rate entering is different from the volume flow rate leaving, you need to write down two differential equations, rather than 1:

Volume Input - Volume Output = accumulation for the volume of fluid in the tank

Chemical X Input - chemical X Output = accumulation for chemical X in the tank

If V(t) is the volume of fluid in the tank at time t, fin is the volumetric flow rate of fluid in, and f_out is the volumetric flow rate of fluid out, what is the differential equation for V?

If C(t) is the concentration of chemical X within the tank at time t, and C_in is the concentration of chemical X in the feed to the tank, what is the differential equation for the rate of change of total chemical X in the tank?

The next step is to multiply the differential equation for V by C, and subtract the resulting relationship from the mass balance on chemical X.

I don't follow.. The way I did it is the way the professor instructed us and the steps match the steps in his example. To solve for C, I now realize from an example in the book that A(0)=35. With that information, I can solve for C.

WYp5JqT.png

OK. I see what you did, and, of course, it is right. But, here's my alternate version to consider:

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}=f_{in}-f_{out}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d(VC)}{dt}=f_{in}C_{in}-f_{out}C[/tex]
Multiply the first equation by C and subtract it from the second equation:

[tex]V\frac{dC}{dt}=f_{in}(C_{in}-C)[/tex]

where [itex]V=V_0+(f_{in}-f_{out})t[/itex]
So,

[tex]\frac{dC}{(C_{in}-C)}=f_{in}\frac{dt}{V_0+(f_{in}-f_{out})t}[/tex]

What is a mixture problem?

A mixture problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the proportion of different substances in a mixture, given certain information about the total amount and concentration of the mixture.

What is the formula for solving mixture problems?

The formula for solving a mixture problem is C = (A x a) / (A + B), where C is the concentration of the final mixture, A is the amount of the first substance, and a is its concentration. B is the amount of the second substance, and the final concentration is expressed as a decimal or percentage.

How do I know which numbers to use in the formula for solving a mixture problem?

In order to solve a mixture problem, you will need to know the amounts and concentrations of the different substances involved in the mixture. These values will be used in the formula to calculate the concentration of the final mixture.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving mixture problems?

Some common mistakes when solving mixture problems include forgetting to convert between units of measurement, using the wrong formula, and not setting up the problem correctly. It is important to carefully read the problem and make sure you understand what information is given and what is being asked for.

Are there any tips for solving mixture problems more efficiently?

One helpful tip for solving mixture problems is to set up a table or chart to organize the given information and help you keep track of the different values and units. It can also be helpful to double check your calculations and make sure they are accurate before submitting your final answer.