Maintaining Voltage Stability with a Zener Diode

In summary, the Zener diode can't keep the voltage constant if the input voltage is less than the zener voltage.
asitiaf
How do Zener diode keep voltage constant if input voltage is less than Zener voltage

Physics news on Phys.org
asitiaf said:
How do Zener diode keep voltage constant if input voltage is less than Zener voltage

It can't.

I'm rather confused about Zener diode.
Can someone explain in detail about it.
As per my opinion when the input voltage is less than Zener diode, the diode acts like an open switch and no current flow through the circuit. But while I'm using it as a voltage regulator, we connect the load across Zener and then let the Zener act like an open switch, the circuit is completed through the load and current will flow. So this is creating a contradiction. Please clarify. The more I'm trying to know, the more I'm getting confused.

The zener conducts when the applied voltage exceeds the zener voltage. Usually there is a series resistance "upstream" of the zener and load, so that resistor drops the "excess" voltage.

If you want a crude model of the zener that you can analyze for the basic behavior, think of it as an ideal diode in series with an ideal voltage source, where the potential of the voltage source is the zener voltage.

attachment.php?attachmentid=57162&stc=1&d=1364403191.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 611
I understand that excess voltage will be dropped across Rs, when input voltage is greater than Zener voltage.
But I'm asking will there be any current through RL, if input voltage is less than Zener voltage.
Give reasons for the answer.

asitiaf said:
I understand that excess voltage will be dropped across Rs, when input voltage is greater than Zener voltage.
But I'm asking will there be any current through RL, if input voltage is less than Zener voltage.
Give reasons for the answer.

Well, the circuit is simple enough. You should be able to analyze it and draw the conclusion. If the input voltage is less than the zener voltage, will the diode be conducting or not?

The diode will not be conducting if input voltage is less than diode voltage.
Vin = (RL+RS)*I
Voltage across Rs = Rs*I
Suppose, first case
Vz = 5V
Vin = 4V
Rs = 2ohm
RL = 6ohm
Now,
I = 0.5 A
Voltage across Rs = 0.5*2 = 1V
And voltage across RL = 0.5*6 = 3V

Second case,
Vin = 5V
Rest all same.
Now
Voltage across RL = 5V because of the Zener diode
But what will be voltage drop across Rs?
Third case
Vin = 6V
Rest all same
Now
Voltage across RL = 5V
And voltage drop across Rs = 1V

This concludes me that voltage across RL remains 3V in first case and 5V in second and third case.
What type of voltage regulator this Zener diode is, if voltage across load keeps varying.
I am sorry for asking fundamental doubts.

asitiaf said:
The diode will not be conducting if input voltage is less than diode voltage.
Vin = (RL+RS)*I
Voltage across Rs = Rs*I
Suppose, first case
Vz = 5V
Vin = 4V
Rs = 2ohm
RL = 6ohm
Now,
I = 0.5 A
Voltage across Rs = 0.5*2 = 1V
And voltage across RL = 0.5*6 = 3V
Okay.
Second case,
Vin = 5V
Rest all same.
Now
Voltage across RL = 5V because of the Zener diode
But what will be voltage drop across Rs?
No, that's not true. Rs and RL form a voltage divider, so the voltage across RL will be less than 5V.

The input voltage must exceed some minimum threshold voltage before the zener can begin to participate in the action.
Third case
Vin = 6V
Rest all same
Now
Voltage across RL = 5V
And voltage drop across Rs = 1V
Nope again. The voltage divider situation still exists for the Vin = 6V case.
This concludes me that voltage across RL remains 3V in first case and 5V in second and third case.
What type of voltage regulator this Zener diode is, if voltage across load keeps varying.
I am sorry for asking fundamental doubts.

The voltage across the load will be regulated to Vz provided that Vin is maintained higher than a certain threshold voltage.

Thanks a lot for clarification.

1. What is a Zener Diode?

A Zener Diode is a type of diode that is designed to maintain a constant voltage across its terminals, even when there are changes in the voltage applied to it. This is due to its unique construction and properties that allow it to regulate voltage.

2. How does a Zener Diode maintain voltage stability?

A Zener Diode maintains voltage stability by utilizing a process called Zener breakdown. This occurs when the reverse bias voltage applied to the diode exceeds a certain threshold, causing a sudden increase in current flow and allowing the diode to regulate the voltage across its terminals.

3. What are the applications of Zener Diodes?

Zener Diodes are commonly used in voltage regulation circuits, such as in power supplies and voltage regulators. They can also be used in surge protectors and as voltage references in precision electronic devices.

4. How do I choose the right Zener Diode for my circuit?

The key factors to consider when choosing a Zener Diode for your circuit are the breakdown voltage (Vz), the maximum power dissipation (Pd), and the maximum current (Iz) that the diode can handle. These specifications can be found in the diode's datasheet and should be selected based on the voltage and current requirements of your circuit.

5. Can Zener Diodes be used for voltage regulation in both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, Zener Diodes can be used for voltage regulation in both AC and DC circuits. However, for AC circuits, a bridge rectifier should be used to convert the AC signal to DC before it is applied to the Zener Diode, as Zener Diodes only regulate DC voltages.