Is there a solution to the Precession-Time Paradox?

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary, the conversation discusses a paradox involving the Earth's axis and its rotation around a reference star. The paradox is explained on a website which offers an explanation and information on the topic. The conversation also touches on the symbol "÷" and its use in dividing numbers, as well as its comparison to the symbol "/". There is also a mention of a Hebrew letter that can be used for the symbol. There are doubts and skepticism about the paradox and its explanation, with one person stating that it may be related to astrology.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Looks like it means what it looks like. Division.

i didnt know ÷ is division, i know that this "/" is division.

Both symbols are used in the US, but the first one (I don't even know how to make it) is mostly used in elementary arithmetic texts.

it's a hebrew letter pronounced "kouf", like "k".
my keyboard is hebrew and english that's why i could type the letter.

any thoughts about the paradox?

Weird, I've never hear of this.

The first site says
The Earth's axis does not gyrate around the pole of the ecliptic. In the period Tprec the Sun, together with the Earth and its Moon, revolves around a reference star that would play the role of a central sun to our entire solar system

This is bunk, probably from some wing of astrology. The precession of the equinoxes is precisely due to what this text denies, the wobble of the Earth's axis over time. There is no "reference star".

I think the reference star that was spoken of was any very far away star that could serve as a reference point. However I too have skepticism about these claims because the numbers and math introduced are not explained and reminds me of numberology and astrology too.

1. What is the Precession-Time Paradox?

The Precession-Time Paradox is a phenomenon in which the Earth's rotation axis appears to shift over time, causing the position of the stars in the sky to change. This apparent shift is due to the Earth's axial precession, a slow, wobbling motion caused by the gravitational pull of the Sun, Moon, and other planets.

2. Is there a solution to the Precession-Time Paradox?

Yes, there is a well-established solution to the Precession-Time Paradox. It is based on the understanding that the Earth's axis of rotation is not fixed, but instead undergoes a slow, cyclical motion. This motion is known as precession and it can be accurately predicted and measured.

3. How does precession affect the measurement of time?

Precession does not affect the measurement of time in a significant way. While it may cause a slight shift in the position of stars in the sky, this does not impact our ability to measure time using tools such as clocks and calendars. These tools are based on the Earth's rotation around its axis, which remains consistent despite precession.

4. Can precession be stopped or reversed?

No, precession cannot be stopped or reversed. It is a natural phenomenon that is caused by the gravitational forces acting on the Earth. While the rate of precession may vary over time, it is a continuous process that cannot be altered by human intervention.

5. How does the Precession-Time Paradox impact scientific research?

The Precession-Time Paradox has a minimal impact on scientific research. While it may cause a slight discrepancy in the position of stars in the sky, this can be accounted for and corrected in observations and calculations. In fact, precession is often taken into consideration in studies related to astronomy and timekeeping.