Calc d<p>/dt: Calculate Derivative of Wave Function

• Thread starter Cogswell
  • Start date
In summary: This will give you a term that is essentially ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\Psi^*\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\Psi)##, which you can then integrate by parts again to get a term involving ##\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\Psi^*\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\Psi##. This can then be combined with the term you already have involving ##\frac{\partial^3}{\partial x^3}\Psi^*\Psi## to give the desired result.
Cogswell

Homework Statement

Calculate ## \dfrac{d <p>}{dt} ##

Answer: ## \left< -\dfrac{\partial V}{\partial x} \right> ##

Homework Equations

Schrodinger equation: ## i \hbar \dfrac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t} = -\dfrac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \frac{\partial ^2 \Psi}{\partial x^2} + V \Psi ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I did:

## \displaystyle \dfrac{\partial}{\partial t} \int^{\infty}_{- \infty} \Psi ^* \left( \dfrac{\hbar}{i} \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x} \right) \Psi dx ##

## \displaystyle \dfrac{\hbar}{i} \int^{\infty}_{- \infty} \dfrac{\partial}{\partial t} \Psi ^* \dfrac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x} dx ##

## \displaystyle \dfrac{\hbar}{i} \int^{\infty}_{- \infty} \left[ \dfrac{\partial \Psi ^*}{\partial t} \dfrac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x} + \Psi^* \dfrac{\partial}{\partial t} \dfrac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x} \right] dx ## (Differentiation by Product rule)From the Schrodinger equation we get that: ## \dfrac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t} = \dfrac{i \hbar}{2m} \dfrac{\partial ^2 \Psi}{\partial x^2} - \dfrac{i}{\hbar} V \Psi ##

And it's conjugate: ## \dfrac{\partial \Psi ^*}{\partial t} = -\dfrac{i \hbar}{2m} \dfrac{\partial ^2 \Psi^*}{\partial x^2} + \dfrac{i}{\hbar} V \Psi^* ##

Putting those into my integral I get:

## \displaystyle \dfrac{\hbar}{i} \int^{\infty}_{- \infty} \left[ \left( -\dfrac{i \hbar}{2m} \frac{\partial ^2 \Psi^*}{\partial x^2} + \dfrac{i}{\hbar} V \Psi^* \right) \dfrac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x} + \Psi^* \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x} \left( \dfrac{i \hbar}{2m} \frac{\partial ^2 \Psi}{\partial x^2} - \dfrac{i}{\hbar} V \Psi \right) \right] dx ##

Expanding out everything:

## \displaystyle \dfrac{\hbar}{i} \int^{\infty}_{- \infty} \left[ -\dfrac{i \hbar}{2m} \frac{\partial ^2 \Psi^*}{\partial x^2} \dfrac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x} + \dfrac{i}{\hbar} V \Psi^* \dfrac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x} + \dfrac{i \hbar}{2m} \frac{\partial ^3 \Psi}{\partial x^3} \Psi^* - \dfrac{i}{\hbar} \Psi^* \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x} (V \Psi) \right] dx ##

## \displaystyle \dfrac{\hbar}{i} \int^{\infty}_{- \infty} \left[ -\dfrac{i \hbar}{2m} \frac{\partial ^2 \Psi^*}{\partial x^2} \dfrac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x} + \dfrac{i}{\hbar} V \Psi^* \dfrac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x} + \dfrac{i \hbar}{2m} \frac{\partial ^3 \Psi}{\partial x^3} \Psi^* - \dfrac{i}{\hbar} \dfrac{\partial V}{\partial x} \Psi \Psi * - \dfrac{i}{\hbar} \dfrac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x} V \Psi ^* \right] dx #### \displaystyle \dfrac{\hbar}{i} \int^{\infty}_{- \infty} \left[ \underbrace{-\dfrac{i \hbar}{2m} \frac{\partial ^2 \Psi^*}{\partial x^2} \dfrac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x}}_1 + \underbrace{\dfrac{i \hbar}{2m} \frac{\partial ^3 \Psi}{\partial x^3} \Psi^*}_2 - \underbrace{\dfrac{i}{\hbar} \dfrac{\partial V}{\partial x} \Psi \Psi *}_3 \right] dx ##

I'm stuck at this point. I'm presuming there's a way to cancel out each of the integrals? I know the last integral is the one I want but I do not know how to cancel out the first 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd have kept the operator notation for longer, vis...

##
\renewcommand{H}{\hat{H}} \renewcommand{p}{\hat{p}}
\renewcommand{\expn}[1]{\left \langle #1 \right \rangle}
\renewcommand{dt}[1]{\frac{d #1}{dt}}
\renewcommand{dx}[1]{\frac{d #1}{dx}}
\renewcommand{intf}[1]{\int_{-\infty}^\infty #1 \; dx}
\renewcommand{ddx}[1]{ \frac{d^2 #1}{dx^2} }## Need to show:$$\text{(1)... }\dt{}\expn{\hat{p}} = \expn{-\dx{V}}$$ (i.e. Newton's second law...)
- expand: $$\begin{array}{rl}
i\hbar \dt{}\expn{\p} & = i\hbar \dt{} \intf {\Psi^\star p\Psi} \\
&= \intf { \left ( i\hbar \dt{} \Psi^\star \right ) \hat{p} \Psi + \Psi^\star \left ( i\hbar\dt{}(\hat{p}\Psi ) \right )} \; \text{ ...(2)}
\end{array}$$ - from the Schrodinger equation: $$\text{(3)... }i\hbar\dt{} \Psi = \H\Psi\\
\text{(4)... } \dt{}\expn{\p} = \frac{1}{i\hbar}\intf{ \H \Psi^\star \p\Psi + \Psi^\star \H\p\Psi} $$... hence, need to show that $$\text{(5)... } \H \Psi^\star \p\Psi + \Psi^\star \H\p\Psi = -i\hbar\Psi^\star \dx{V} \Psi$$ - which, I think, is pretty much where you are up to ;)
(caveat: do not rely on me to get the math right - check!)

- note that $$\text{(6)... }\p\H = - i\hbar \dx{} \left ( -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\ddx{}+V \right )$$ ... gives you third-order differentiation in x as well as the dV/dx you need.

So how do you change the order of the operations?

Last edited:
If you want to continue on from where you got to, use integration by parts to move ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x}## between ##\Psi## and ##\Psi^*##.

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. In other words, it shows how much a function is changing at a specific point.

2. Why is it important to calculate the derivative of a wave function?

Calculating the derivative of a wave function can provide valuable information about the behavior of the wave. It can help determine the maximum and minimum points, the slope of the wave, and the overall shape of the function.

3. How is the derivative of a wave function calculated?

The derivative of a wave function can be calculated using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule, depending on the specific form of the function. It involves taking the limit of the change in the function over the change in the independent variable as the change approaches zero.

4. What is the physical significance of the derivative of a wave function?

The derivative of a wave function has physical significance as it represents the velocity of the wave at a particular point. This can be useful in understanding the behavior of physical systems, such as waves in the ocean or sound waves.

5. Can the derivative of a wave function change over time?

Yes, the derivative of a wave function can change over time as the function itself changes. This is because the derivative is dependent on the behavior of the function and its independent variable, which can both change over time.