Checking a commutation relation for angular momentum and lin. momentum

In summary: So in summary, the commutation relation ##\left [L_x, p_y \right] = i\hbar \epsilon_{xyz} p_z## can be proven using the product rule when taking derivatives.
tomwilliam2

Homework Statement

Prove the commutation relation ##\left [L_x, p_y \right] = i\hbar \epsilon_{xyz} p_z##

Homework Equations

##L_x = yp_z - zp_y##
##p_z = i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial z}##

The Attempt at a Solution

##\left [L_x, p_y \right] = (yp_z - zp_y)p_y - p_y(yp_z - zp_y)##
##\left [L_x, p_y \right] = \left (y\cdot i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial z}\cdot i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial y} - z\cdot i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\cdot i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\right ) -\left ( i\hbar \frac{\partial y}{\partial y}i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial z} - i\hbar \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial y} \right )##
##\left [L_x, p_y \right] = -y\hbar^2 \frac{\partial^2}{\partial z \partial y} + z\hbar^2 \frac{\partial^2}{\partial y} + \hbar^2\frac{\partial^2}{\partial z^2}##

I don't see how I can turn this into the final answer, given that I have derivatives of y still left...so where did I go wrong?
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to remember to use the product rule when taking derivatives.

Thanks! That old mistake...

1. How do you check a commutation relation for angular momentum and linear momentum?

To check a commutation relation for angular momentum and linear momentum, you need to use the commutator operator [A,B] = AB - BA. In this case, A and B represent the operators for angular momentum and linear momentum. You can then calculate the commutator and check if it equals to 0, which indicates that the operators commute.

2. What is the significance of checking a commutation relation for angular momentum and linear momentum?

Checking a commutation relation for angular momentum and linear momentum is important because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. It also allows us to determine if two operators can be measured simultaneously or if they are incompatible.

3. Can a commutation relation for angular momentum and linear momentum ever be non-zero?

Yes, it is possible for the commutator of angular momentum and linear momentum to be non-zero. This indicates that the two operators do not commute and are incompatible. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

4. What are some real-world applications of checking a commutation relation for angular momentum and linear momentum?

One application is in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, where the commutator of spin angular momentum and magnetic moment is used to determine the energy states of nuclei. Another application is in quantum computing, where the commutation relations between different quantum gates are checked to ensure proper functioning of the computer.

5. Are there any alternative methods for checking a commutation relation for angular momentum and linear momentum?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using the canonical commutation relations (CCR) or using the uncertainty principle. However, using the commutator operator is the most common and straightforward method for checking commutation relations in quantum mechanics.