What is the Derivative of 1/(x√(x^2-1))?

• Thread starter Naeem
  • Start date
In summary, you are trying to find the antiderivative of frac{1}{x\sqrt{x^{2}-1}} [/tex] .If so, you would use a substitution involving [itex] \cosh u ... \sec u ... \tan u ... [/tex] .
Naeem
Hi,

Can anyone help me here!

dy/dx = 1/(x.sqrt(x^2-1)) , x>0 Note y = pi when x = 2

Here is what I did:

Let u = x^2 - 1
x^2 = u + 1

Substituting this in the above yields:

dy/dx = 1/x.sqrt(u)

Differentiating: u = x^2-1

du = 2x.dx

x = du/2.dx

Then,

dy/dx= 2/sqrt(u).du

I don't know if this is rite.
Plz help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are u trying to do?Find the antiderivative of [itex] \frac{1}{x\sqrt{x^{2}-1}} [/tex] ...?If so,then use a substitution involving [itex] \cosh u [/itex]...

Daniel.

Why is it that everyone has been taught about hyperbolic trig functions when we skipped it in high school and calc 1-3?

I was trying to simplify the Right Hand side, before, I could integrate , by making a substitution.

Anyway what would be the hyperbolic sub, for this involving coshu.

I don't have my textbook with me. I am at work, and I am trying to finish my homework.

Need i say that your initial approach is incorrect...?

It also works with [itex] \sec u [/itex]...

Daniel.

whozum said:
Why is it that everyone has been taught about hyperbolic trig functions when we skipped it in high school and calc 1-3?

I wouldn't know.Self-taught hyperbolic trigonometry in HS (XII-th grade) when i had to evaluate antiderivatives using substitution...

Daniel.

Ok, then,

Let x = secu

dx/du = secu.tanu

sec^2u-tan^2u = 1

dy/dx = 1/secu.tanu

Then what, to do!

[tex] \int \frac{\sec u \ \tan u \ du}{\sec u \ \tan u} =\int du = u+C = \mbox{arcsec} \ x +C [/tex]

Daniel.

Ok, I applied the initial conditions:

y = pi when x = 2

and I got,

y = sec-1(x) + pi - sec-1(2)

can we write this as:

y = sec-1 (x/2) + pi

"sec" (as "cosine") is multivalued.But your could take

[tex] \sec^{-1} 2=\frac{\pi}{3} [/tex]

Daniel.

What is "Dy/dx" in the equation?

"Dy/dx" is a notation used in calculus to represent the derivative of a function. It represents the rate of change of the function with respect to the independent variable x.

What does the "1/(x.sqrt(x^2-1))" part of the equation represent?

This part of the equation represents the derivative of the function with respect to x. It is a mathematical expression that shows how the function changes as x changes.

What is the significance of the "x^2-1" part of the equation?

The "x^2-1" part of the equation is inside the square root sign, and it represents the argument of the square root function. This argument must be greater than or equal to 0 for the function to be defined.

What is the domain of the function represented by this equation?

The domain of the function represented by this equation is all real numbers except for x=1 and x=-1. This is because the function is undefined at these points due to the denominator becoming 0.

What real-life applications does this equation have?

This equation has many real-life applications, including in physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It can be used to find the rate of change of a variable in a system, such as the speed of an object in motion or the growth rate of a population.