Find NAS/MS Bolts Near Detroit: 8 MS21250-05056 Needed

• Thread starter faust9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bolt
In summary, the conversation is about finding a bolt distributor in the Detroit area who sells NAS/MS bolts. The specific bolt needed is 8 MS21250-05056's, but most distributors only sell in bulk or are out of stock. The person suggests using ETA Global and asks if there is a specific reason for needing an MS spec bolt. The response explains that the bolts are for a race car and using NAS bolts saves time and effort in testing. There is also discussion about needing QA paperwork.
faust9
Help me find a bolt...

Ok, I'm lookng for a bolt distributor (as close to the Detroit area if at all possible) who sells NAS/MS bolts. Specifically, I need 8 MS21250-05056's.

I know this is an odd request, but I've searched high and low for said jewels but the distributors I've dug up thus far will only sell in bulk (at $20 a bolt I'm not going to pay for 100 if I only need 8) or they are out of stock. Most distributors charge out the yin-yang for mil-specs anyway, but I'd like to find them as cheap and quickly as possible.

Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Faust,

You're in the Detroit area? Hmmm...small world. That MS spec looks familiar but I am not sure about the shank size. Let me see if we're lucky enough to have some of those on hand. Give me a bit.

EDIT: I just looked at the dash number on that spec you called out. That's a long bolt. Too long for anything we'd use here. I will see if I can track some down though.

I use ETA Global a lot. They can usually get you something pretty fast.

http://www.etaglobal.com/contact.asp

Is there any reason why you need an MS spec (now an AS spec) bolt? Would you need certs for this? Just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response. The bolts will be used in a differential on a race car. We can get away with standard graded bolts; however, it is frowned upon and requires more testing on our part to prove the bolts we use will survive. NAS bolts have had the testing done already and enable use to work on more important things. Finally, I'm not sure if we need to keep QA paperwork(the diff isn't really my system anyway engine controls is more my cup of tea), I think the 'MS' stamp is enough.

What are NAS/MS bolts?

NAS/MS bolts are a type of aircraft bolt that is manufactured to the specifications set by the National Aerospace Standards (NAS) and Military Standards (MS). These bolts are designed to meet the strict requirements of the aerospace industry and are commonly used in aircraft construction and maintenance.

Why are NAS/MS bolts needed near Detroit?

Detroit is home to many aerospace companies and has a large concentration of aircraft manufacturing and maintenance facilities. Therefore, there is a high demand for NAS/MS bolts in the area to support these industries.

How many MS21250-05056 bolts are needed?

The request specifies that 8 bolts are needed. MS21250-05056 is the part number for a specific type of NAS/MS bolt that is commonly used in aircraft construction.

Where can I find NAS/MS bolts near Detroit?

There are several options for finding NAS/MS bolts near Detroit. You can contact local aerospace suppliers or search online for suppliers that offer delivery to the Detroit area. You can also check with local aircraft maintenance facilities, as they may have these bolts in stock.

What are the specifications for MS21250-05056 bolts?

MS21250-05056 bolts are 5/16 inch diameter bolts with 24 threads per inch. They have a grip length of 0.56 inches and are made of alloy steel with a cadmium plating. These bolts are designed to meet the requirements of MS21250 military standard and are often used in high-stress applications in aircraft construction.