Switch from Production industry to other fields?

In summary, the speaker is a mechanical engineering graduate who has been working for a year in a multinational FMCG company. They feel that this is not a long-term path for them and would like to switch to a field that is more technical and less intensive. They are seeking advice on what options they have in the future without getting a master's degree. The speaker also brings up the question of when is the right time to quit their first job without giving a bad impression.
FAlonso
I started working for a multinational FMCG after graduating in Mechanical Engineering. With one year as of now in it, I somehow feel this is not a path to take for lifetime. I am paid well and my work is mix of management and engineering (Since it's the maintenance and I am the process owner), however, I would like to switch to a field where it's more about technical stuff and moreover, less intensive than production.

What options can I see in future with this experience, without having to do something radical like getting a master's degree (whose worth I now question having seen industry do not care about it)?

Can someone advise ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is FMCG? Not knowing that, I can't speak authoritatively about your situation.

But generally, it's not unusual to have a short-termed job at the beginning of your career. But, by 'short term' I mean three or four years. Being at a job for only one year looks bad on a resume. It's not a deal breaker, but be prepared to answer questions about it. Or better yet, bring it up yourself.

FMCG = Fast Moving Consumer Goods Industry

I have been wondering the same, when is the right time to quit your first job so as to not give any bad impression regarding previous job

1. What are the skills that can be transferred from the production industry to other fields?

Some of the transferable skills from the production industry include project management, problem-solving, time management, teamwork, and communication skills. These skills are applicable in various industries and can be valuable assets in a new field.

2. What are the challenges of switching from the production industry to another field?

Some of the challenges of switching from the production industry to another field include the need to learn new skills, adapt to a different work culture, and potentially starting at a lower position or salary. It can also be difficult to break into a new industry without prior experience.

3. Is it common to switch from the production industry to other fields?

Yes, it is becoming increasingly common for professionals to switch from one industry to another. Many people find that their skills and experience are transferable and can be applied in different fields, leading to new opportunities and career growth.

4. How can I prepare for a career switch from the production industry to another field?

To prepare for a career switch, you can start by researching the industry you are interested in and networking with professionals in that field. Consider gaining additional skills or certifications that are relevant to the new industry. You can also update your resume and tailor it to highlight transferable skills and experiences.

5. What are some popular fields that people in the production industry switch to?

Some popular fields that people in the production industry switch to include project management, operations management, logistics and supply chain, sales and marketing, and consulting. However, the possibilities are endless, and it ultimately depends on the individual's interests and transferable skills.