Use a motor to turn a threaded rod

• Thread starter balsaboom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor Rod
In summary, this is a motorized lead screw that is used to move a load. You will need to find a coupling to link the motor shaft (4mm / 5/32") to the 1/4" threaded rod.
balsaboom
Hi everyone,
Is this something that I can use to link a motor to a threaded rod (so when the motor turns, the threaded rod turns as well)?

also, about how much torque will i be needing to slowly rotate a 1 foot steel threaded rod?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is known as a "motorized lead screw". The torque to drive it depends on the load you are moving plus the friction of the system.

Bobbywhy said:
This is known as a "motorized lead screw". The torque to drive it depends on the load you are moving plus the friction of the system.

I just did a quick google search of "motorized lead screw" and I didnt find much. Could you provide a photo or a link with some more info?

Also, I'm not turning any load, just a threaded rod. A normal stepper motor should be fine, right? I particular I am eyeing http://www.maplin.co.uk/miniature-epicyclic-motorgearboxes-43376 (the one with the lowest rpm)

thanks again for all your help!

Bobbywhy said:
There was a similar thread here recently. See post #8 for lots of tips:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=479160&highlight=motorized+lead+screw

I'm still not sure I understand the post. I've gathered that I should be using couplings to link the motor shaft (4mm / 5/32") to the 1/4" threaded rod, but I can't find any of that size online.
I feel like I'm missing something major, sorry for all this hassle.

balsaboom Excuse me, I did not read your post carefully and missed your point completely. So, you are looking for “couplings to link the motor shaft (4mm / 5/32") to the 1/4" threaded rod”.

What you can use is called an “Inch/Metric Universal Lateral Shaft Coupler”. Here is a catalog with many to choose from:

PIC Design Catalog 45, Lateral shaft couplers, Section 7 which contains these types:

Bellows Couplings, Zero Adjustable Couplings, Flexible Couplings, Miniature Oldham Couplings, Wafer Oldham Couplings, Universal Lateral Couplings, Multi-Jaw Couplings, Precision Universal Joint Couplings, Molded Universal Joint Couplings, Precision Sleeve Couplings, Flexible Zero Backlash Couplings, Spider Couplings

You’ll need to get the pdf document and then scroll down to Section 7. There you can choose the right one for your project.

Good Luck, Bobbywhy

Likes 1 person
Bobbywhy said:
balsaboom Excuse me, I did not read your post carefully and missed your point completely. So, you are looking for “couplings to link the motor shaft (4mm / 5/32") to the 1/4" threaded rod”.

What you can use is called an “Inch/Metric Universal Lateral Shaft Coupler”. Here is a catalog with many to choose from:

PIC Design Catalog 45, Lateral shaft couplers, Section 7 which contains these types:

Bellows Couplings, Zero Adjustable Couplings, Flexible Couplings, Miniature Oldham Couplings, Wafer Oldham Couplings, Universal Lateral Couplings, Multi-Jaw Couplings, Precision Universal Joint Couplings, Molded Universal Joint Couplings, Precision Sleeve Couplings, Flexible Zero Backlash Couplings, Spider Couplings

You’ll need to get the pdf document and then scroll down to Section 7. There you can choose the right one for your project.

Good Luck, Bobbywhy

great, that was exactly what i needed. thanks!

1. How does using a motor to turn a threaded rod work?

The motor is connected to the threaded rod through a coupling or gearbox. When the motor is turned on, it rotates the threaded rod, causing it to move in a linear motion.

2. What are the benefits of using a motor to turn a threaded rod?

Using a motor allows for precise and consistent movement of the threaded rod, which is useful for tasks such as lifting, rotating, or tightening objects. It also reduces the amount of manual labor required for these tasks.

3. What types of motors are typically used for turning threaded rods?

The most common types of motors used are stepper motors and servo motors. These motors provide accurate control and can be easily programmed for specific movements.

4. Can a motor be used to turn any size or type of threaded rod?

Yes, as long as the motor has enough torque and power to rotate the threaded rod. The size and type of threaded rod will determine the type and size of motor needed.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a motor to turn a threaded rod?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the motor is properly secured and that there are no loose or exposed parts that could cause injury. It is also important to follow all safety guidelines when operating the motor and to regularly maintain and inspect the equipment.