DC Motor System for Car Battery: Can I Achieve Inexpensively?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a single phase AC motor system currently running at 2980rpm, 5.6 amp, 50hz, 240v, and 87% efficiency, which gives about 1 horsepower. The question is whether a similar powered DC motor can run off a 12 volt car battery, and if it can be achieved inexpensively. It is suggested that using an inverter for the original system may not be a viable option due to the high amperage draw on the battery. It is also noted that running a 1 horsepower motor off a 12 volt battery would quickly drain and potentially damage the battery. Information and suggestions are welcomed.
seamuscostello
Hi, I have a single phase ac motor system currently working at 2980rpm, 5.6 amp, 50 hz, 240v, efficiency 87% giving approx 1 horse power.

Can I have a similar powered dc motor run off a 12 volt car battery. Can this be achieved inexpensively?

Could I use an inverter for original system? Any info/suggestions appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi seamuscostello! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

One horsepower is 746 watts. At 12v that equates to drawing well over 60 amps from your battery. Your battery will be flat within a minute or two, and probably damaged. Sorry, it was a good plan though.

How long would you be needing to run a 1 hp motor before recharging the batteries?

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a DC motor system for car battery?

A DC motor system for car battery is a system that converts the direct current (DC) from a car battery into mechanical energy to power the car's movement.

How does a DC motor system work?

A DC motor system works by using the principle of electromagnetism. The motor has an armature, which is a rotating part that is connected to the car's wheels. When electricity from the battery is passed through the armature, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the fixed magnets in the motor, causing the armature to rotate and power the car's movement.

Can I achieve a DC motor system for my car battery inexpensively?

Yes, it is possible to achieve a DC motor system for your car battery inexpensively. Many manufacturers offer affordable options for DC motor systems, and there are also DIY tutorials available for building your own motor system at a lower cost.

What are the benefits of using a DC motor system for car battery?

Using a DC motor system for car battery has several benefits, including improved efficiency, lower maintenance costs, and reduced emissions compared to traditional gasoline engines.

Are there any drawbacks to using a DC motor system for car battery?

One potential drawback of using a DC motor system for car battery is the limited range of electric vehicles. However, with advancements in battery technology and charging infrastructure, this issue is continuously being addressed. Additionally, the initial cost of purchasing and installing a DC motor system may be higher than traditional engines, but the long-term savings on fuel and maintenance costs can offset this initial investment.