Angle of attack as a function of Chamber line

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the angle of attack based on the chamber line of an airfoil. The person is seeking help as they are unable to find the answer through their own research. They mention the concepts of camber and angle of zero lift, and suggest using the program XFOIL for further analysis.
Payam30
Hi,
Simply my question is :
How do I calculate the angle of attack as a function of chamber line. where chamber line is given. and how can angle of attack for zero-lifr be calculated?

This is not a homework. I can't see it by my eye without knowing the lift coefficient. I hope somebody can help me out here becouse I am very tired of googling.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
'Camber' is the curvature of the mean line of an airfoil. 'Chamber' is a room, or other type of spatial enclosure.

It's not clear what you mean by angle of attack as a function of camber line.

Most airfoils are tested at varying angles of attack to determine the angle of zero lift and the angle of max. lift.
You can do lifting line or lifting surface calculations to find these angles, but these calculations are complicated to perform.

You can download the free "polar" program XFOIL, which will produce a chart and/or data regarding coefficient of lift and drag versus angle of attack versus Reynolds number.

What is the definition of "angle of attack"?

The angle of attack refers to the angle between the oncoming airflow and the chord line of an airfoil or wing.

How does the angle of attack affect the lift and drag of an airfoil?

As the angle of attack increases, the lift on the airfoil also increases until reaching a certain point, after which the lift decreases and the drag increases. This is known as the "stall" angle of attack.

What is the relationship between the angle of attack and the chamber line of an airfoil?

The chamber line, also known as the mean camber line, is the line that connects the leading and trailing edges of an airfoil. The angle of attack is directly related to the chamber line, as changes in the angle of attack will also affect the shape of the chamber line.

How does the angle of attack change with different airfoil shapes?

The angle of attack required for maximum lift and minimum drag will vary depending on the shape of the airfoil. Airfoils with higher camber, or curvature, typically require a lower angle of attack for maximum lift compared to airfoils with lower camber.

What are the practical applications of understanding the angle of attack as a function of chamber line?

Understanding the relationship between angle of attack and chamber line is crucial in the design and performance of aircraft and other aerodynamic structures. It also plays a role in predicting and preventing aerodynamic stalls, which can be dangerous in aircraft. Additionally, it can inform decisions on optimal airfoil shapes for different applications.