Multiple motors to drive a single axle

In summary, you are trying to use wind power to turn rotors to generate electricity. You have several challenges, the most significant of which is that you want the energy derived from the wind turbines to travel in one direction to the battery only, so one turbine does not drive another backwards. You must take only as much energy as is available from anyone turbine without stalling it's aerodynamic profile. All turbines must generate their part of the total, no matter how big or small it is compared to the others.
devindask
I want to turn an axle or a wheel using multiple motors. With a single motor, sometimes the power is not enough. Is there any method to use two or more motors independently driving the same axle or wheel ? The idea is to have contributions from all the motors so that the axle or the wheel gets enough power to run.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
What type of motors are you considering?

The torque on a DC motor is proportional to current flow.
Two motors will be able to do twice the work of one.

To drive one axle, it is often more economic to use one larger motor than several smaller motors.

The economy of using more than one motor comes where several wheels on a vehicle need to be driven. The smaller motors can be distributed to the wheels, which reduces the need for transmission, drive shafts and CVJs.

Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.
What type of motors are you considering?

The torque on a DC motor is proportional to current flow.
Two motors will be able to do twice the work of one.

To drive one axle, it is often more economic to use one larger motor than several smaller motors.

The economy of using more than one motor comes where several wheels on a vehicle need to be driven. The smaller motors can be distributed to the wheels, which reduces the need for transmission, drive shafts and CVJs.

Well...
Its not a motor actually. Its a wind fan. I want to use this or these to run a turbine. Since the space available is very limited, I want to use several smaller fans running together to drive the turbine.

devindask said:
I want to use several smaller fans running together to drive the turbine.
Sorry about the questions, but I think we may have a problem here with terminology.
A "Fan" is used to move a fluid such as air, it adds kinetic energy to the fluid.
A "Turbine" is driven by a moving fluid, it extracts energy from that fluid.

Is the 'turbine' you refer to, actually being used as a pump to move a different fluid?

Can you better describe what you are trying to do? wind energy or pump?

Baluncore said:
Sorry about the questions, but I think we may have a problem here with terminology.
A "Fan" is used to move a fluid such as air, it adds kinetic energy to the fluid.
A "Turbine" is driven by a moving fluid, it extracts energy from that fluid.

Is the 'turbine' you refer to, actually being used as a pump to move a different fluid?

Can you better describe what you are trying to do? wind energy or pump?

Sorry for the inconvenience. I want to turn rotors using wind power and those rotors will supply that energy to a single generator to produce electricity.

So you have several wind turbines that must be combined to charge say, a single electric battery.
In effect, you are attempting to harvest widespread energy and gather it all into one place.

You have a number of challenges. You want the energy derived from the wind turbines to travel in one direction to the battery only, so one turbine does not drive another backwards. You must take only as much energy as is available from anyone turbine without stalling it's aerodynamic profile. All turbines must generate their part of the total, no matter how big or small it is compared to the others.

Using fluids or mechanical linkages to combine turbine rotation is very inefficient and all suffer from the difficulty associated with combining different energy flows. For example, the power transmitted by a shaft is RPM*torque so you would need continuously adjustable gearboxes to combine shafts. With hydraulic systems, each wind turbine would need a variable displacement pump which would be cost prohibitive.

Really the only technology capable of doing this is electrical. You must get away from one generator and use a small generator on each turbine. The electric power can then be combined by using switching converters to charge a common battery. Switching converters are better than 90% efficient. I can see no way that you can exceed that efficiency using any other technique.

Now, if someone can prove me wrong, you will have your answer.

What is the purpose of using multiple motors to drive a single axle?

The purpose of using multiple motors to drive a single axle is to increase the torque and power output of the axle. By using multiple motors, the load can be distributed among them, allowing for greater force to be applied to the axle.

Can any type of motor be used for this application?

Yes, multiple types of motors can be used to drive a single axle. The most common types include DC motors, stepper motors, and servo motors. The type of motor used will depend on the specific application and the desired performance.

How are the motors synchronized to work together?

The motors can be synchronized through various methods such as using a motor controller, using a microcontroller, or using a motor driver circuit. These methods allow for the motors to receive the same control signals and operate in unison.

What are the benefits of using multiple motors instead of a single motor?

Using multiple motors provides several benefits, including increased torque and power output, improved speed and precision, and redundancy in case of motor failure. It also allows for better control and distribution of the load, resulting in smoother operation.

Are there any limitations to using multiple motors on a single axle?

One limitation is the additional cost and complexity of using multiple motors. It also requires careful synchronization and calibration to ensure proper operation. Additionally, using too many motors can lead to increased weight and size, which may not be suitable for all applications.