Advice about colleges for studying abroad

• Schools
  • Thread starter ythamsten
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, the speaker is an undergrad in Electrical Engineering and is planning to participate in a program called "Science without Borders". They are seeking advice on which colleges to apply to for a year-long study abroad opportunity. The speaker's university has an emphasis in power systems, but they are wondering if they should branch out and pursue a more broad EE field or focus on courses in the US that specialize in power systems. They are looking for recommendations and explanations on the main aspects to consider when choosing a university.
ythamsten
Hello, I'm an undergrad of Electrical Engineering and I'm planning to participate, if not at the end of this year, in the end of the next, of a program called "Science without Borders". In this program, I'll be able to attend to a university of other country for a year, what they call here 'sandwich graduation'.
Of course, you have to be accepted to the colleges you apply for and prove that you are proficient in the natural language of the referred country. But the advice I'm looking for is: which colleges would you recommend for me to look for?
My university here itself, has kind of an emphasis in power systems, which is characteristic of EE courses around here. Do you guys think I should try to complement my graduation going for something more broad in the EE field, or should I look for courses in the US more directed to this sub-field? If possible, explain why (i.e. the main aspects) you advised me that(those) college(s). Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
A lot of personal preference is factored when choosing a university. More than just "what are the best EE programs". You can do a Google search for that. You need to decide what other attributes of a university are you looking for.

What are the benefits of studying abroad in college?

Studying abroad in college offers numerous benefits, including gaining cultural competency and experiencing personal growth. It also allows for the opportunity to learn a new language, network with international students and professionals, and gain a global perspective on your field of study.

How can I choose the right college to study abroad?

When choosing a college to study abroad, consider factors such as the location, program offerings, cost, and reputation of the institution. It's also important to research the support services and cultural immersion opportunities provided by the college.

What are the most popular countries for studying abroad?

Some of the most popular countries for studying abroad include the United Kingdom, Australia, Spain, Italy, and France. However, the popularity of certain countries may vary depending on your field of study and personal interests.

How can I prepare for studying abroad?

To prepare for studying abroad, research the culture and customs of the country you will be living in, make sure all necessary documents and visas are in order, and learn the basics of the language. It's also important to arrange accommodations and familiarize yourself with the local currency and transportation options.

What financial aid options are available for studying abroad?

There are various financial aid options available for studying abroad, including scholarships, grants, and loans. It's important to research and apply for these opportunities early, as they may have specific requirements and deadlines. Additionally, some colleges may offer their own financial aid options for students studying abroad.