Embedded system design process

In summary, the discussion focused on the design process for embedded computing systems and specification writing. For question 1, the process involves specifying the objective, choosing the appropriate microcontroller, considering the communication link and memory requirements. The right microcontroller is crucial for the success of the system. For question 2, it is important to clearly define the project scope including objectives, control needs, communication link, power requirements, and physical size limitations. Time should be spent on finding the right microcontroller that can meet the project's requirements.
vead
I have two exam question (embedded computing system)
Q1. write short on embedded computing system design process
Q2. write short note on specification

I am confused how to write answer for this questions

for Q1 Embedded system made with both hardware and software I know about hardware component like micro controller and software component like compiler or assembler

can someone suggest me how to write answer for Q1

for Q2 WHAT I do I need to write specification for hardware or software or embedded computing system

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

I designed quite a few embedded systems using HC11 and Analog Devices 8051 based micro controllers. I really don't know how to answer your question 1 exactly.

To me,
For question 1:
1) step 1 of design process is to specify what is your objective, what does the system need to control.
2) Identify the best micro controller that has the most embedded function. For example, how many analog output you need to control in the project, how many analog input you need to monitor etc. Then you choose the controller that has enough DAC and ADC build in.
3) Consider how much EEPROM and RAM you need for the firmware.
4) If there is a communication link needed ( USB, SPI, CAN bus etc.), find a controller that can accommodate the communication link.
4) Base on 2, 3 and 4, you find the micro controller.

Finding the right micro controller is the single most important thing for me. The right controller is almost everything. The rest is just academic.

For question 2:
You need to write out clearly what is the scope of the project.

1) Layout your objective.
2) What kind of control you need.
3) Specify the communication link if applicable ( USB, CAN bus, SPI etc.)
4) The power requirement.
5) Physical size limitation.

After defining clearly what you need to achieve, a lot of time should be spent on finding the right controller. Spend the time in reading data sheets of different controllers. Try to find one that does more function and have enough memory so you don't have to run data and address bus out.

Last edited:
@yungman is right. The embedded system has a function to perform. Start with the requirements of what it needs to do and derive requirements for the hardware and software needed to do that job (rates of running (5Hz?, 100Hz?, event driven?), I/O requirements, etc).

I am happy to provide a response to the content on embedded system design process.

Q1. The design process for an embedded computing system involves a series of steps that are necessary to create an efficient and functional system. This process typically starts with defining the requirements and specifications of the system, followed by the selection of appropriate hardware and software components. The next step is to design and integrate the hardware and software components, followed by testing and debugging to ensure proper functionality. Once the system is functional, it goes through a verification process to ensure it meets all the specified requirements. Finally, the system is ready for deployment and may go through further updates and modifications as needed. This process requires a thorough understanding of both hardware and software components and their integration to create a reliable and efficient embedded computing system.

Q2. Specification is a crucial aspect of the embedded system design process. It involves defining the detailed requirements and functionalities of the system. This can include hardware specifications such as processor speed, memory, and input/output interfaces, as well as software specifications such as programming languages, operating system, and communication protocols. Specification also includes defining the expected performance and functionality of the system, as well as any constraints or limitations that need to be considered during the design process. Accurate and detailed specifications are essential for creating a successful embedded computing system that meets the desired requirements.

1. What is the overall process of designing an embedded system?

The embedded system design process involves several stages, including requirements analysis, system architecture design, hardware and software design, integration and testing, and finally, deployment and maintenance.

2. How do you determine the requirements for an embedded system?

The requirements for an embedded system are determined by understanding the purpose of the system, its intended use, and the environment in which it will operate. This can be achieved through discussions with stakeholders and conducting thorough research.

3. What is the role of system architecture in the design process?

System architecture is crucial in the design process as it defines the overall structure of the system and its components. It also helps in identifying the interfaces between different components, ensuring efficient communication and functionality of the system.

4. How do you choose the hardware and software components for an embedded system?

The selection of hardware and software components for an embedded system depends on the system's requirements and specifications. Factors such as performance, cost, power consumption, and compatibility are considered while choosing the components.

5. What are the key considerations during the integration and testing phase of the design process?

The integration and testing phase involves combining all the hardware and software components to ensure they work together seamlessly. Key considerations include testing for functionality, reliability, and performance, as well as identifying and resolving any bugs or issues.