The Dirty War for Oil: UN Oil-for-Food Scandal Implicates Putin Aides

• News
  • Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary, the Senate investigation found that top Kremlin operatives and a flamboyant Russian politician reaped millions of dollars in profits under the U.N. oil-for-food program by selling oil that Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein allowed them to buy at a deep discount, with kickbacks paid to Hussein in order to curry favor with the Russian government. France is now being accused of engaging in the same behavior.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7857167/

Top Kremlin operatives and a flamboyant Russian politician reaped millions of dollars in profits under the U.N. oil-for-food program by selling oil that Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein allowed them to buy at a deep discount, a Senate investigation has concluded.

The allegations -- which also include descriptions of kickbacks paid to Hussein -- are detailed in hundreds of pages of reports and documents made public last night by the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations in advance of a hearing tomorrow.

The documents outline a trail of oil and money that leads directly from Iraq to the Kremlin and the former chief of staff to Russian President Vladimir Putin and former president Boris Yeltsin. The report said Iraq sought to influence and reward the Russian government because it sits on the powerful U.N. Security Council that oversaw sanctions against the Hussein government. Russia repeatedly sided with Iraq on issues before the Security Council.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I remember hearing about this. I heard that there were other UN members involved in the Oil-For-Food scandal too though.

There were like, 123 people found in one listing of people involved in this kind of crap. The # of countries involved were... gosh it was so long ago when i read the list... like 20? Mainly arab and african nations... but French diplomats and Russia were also getting huge sums of money

France is the new Soviet Union. Really.

Another thing one has to understand is that Russia is a very peculiar country. Somehow I don't feel either suprised nor offended by their behavior.

Last edited:
Oh well they have some of the worlds largest oil reserves yet no way to refine a lot of it! Can't blame them for trying to stay competative in the industrial world... but hey, do a crime, and you get caught.

This forum is boring lol. I would have gotten 30 pages of flameing in my old forum :D I like it here i think

Again disinformation, Khodorovsky is getting jail sentence and all rats are spewing dirt to demonize Putin. Most of the biggest thiefs and swindlers luckilly escaped to Britain and Israel.
BTW.Putin is the best thing ever happened for Russia. We need someone like him here!
I admire Putin for staying cool when on all fronts he is attacked. Great Man !

Who were the biggest theives?

I think stoned really meant to say Russia and France (and Kofi). :rolleyes:

Big fishes at large;

Leonid Nevzlin- Yukos shareholder resides in Israel

Vladimir Dubov- Yukos shareholder resides inIsrael

Mikhail Brudno- Yukos shareholder also resides in Israel

Dmitry Golobov- head of Yukos legal dpt resides in Britain.

Natalya Chernysheva- former head of regional buissnes dept of Rosprom resides in Britain

Dmitry Maruyev - fromer head of Rosprom dept resides in Britain.

Mikhail Trushin- chairman of the board of Yukos- moscow Co resides in Britain

Aleksander Gorbachev- general directoe of Apatit -Trade firm resides in Britain

Mikhail Zvantsev- president of Sahaneft Co residence unknown

Pavlev Ivlev- partner of the lawyer firm ALM Feldmans resides in USA

In prison:

Khodorovsky and Lebedev of course and ;

Alexy Pichugin- former head of security at Yukos

Svetlana Bakhamina- deputy head of Yukos legal dept

Vladimir Pereverzin- former deputy head of Yukos financial dept

Dimitry Velichko- president of Rosinkor

Vladimir Malakhovsky- general director of Ratibor Co

Oleg Vitka- general director of Zapadno-Malobalykskoye Co

Alexy Kurstin - acting head manager of Yukos- Moscow Co

russ_watters said:
I think stoned really meant to say Russia and France (and Kofi). :rolleyes:

you know your politics, like I know my calculus :yuck:

Well you catch the big fish... i caught this damn bug that was flyen around my desk :D

What makes those people "big fishies" and not putin?

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:wLY7wjQHm0wJ:www.svetlanabakhmina.com/pdf/article_irishtimes.pdf+%22Aleksander+Gorbachev%22&hl=en [Broken]
Doesn't look like every one of those fish got away.

Last edited by a moderator:
more
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2005/03/11/043.html [Broken]

http://www.gazeta.ru/2003/09/17/Recordbreaki.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
stoned said:
Big fishes at large...
Source?
you know your politics, like I know my calculus
:rolleyes:

Everyone is involved to some extent or another.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7883488/

Documents released Monday by the minority Democrats on Coleman’s subcommittee examined two issues: Bayoil’s involvement in oil-for-food and a single instance that saw Saddam’s regime smuggle more than 7 million barrels of oil out of the Iraqi port of Khor al-Amaya, apparently with U.S. knowledge, in the weeks before the invasion in 2003.

U.S. link
The report found that Bayoil imported some 200 million barrels over two years starting in September 2000 and sold it to U.S. oil companies. That was at a time when Saddam was trying to tinker with the price of oil so that when he sold it, companies could be compelled to pay him kickbacks.

The report claimed that Bayoil paid “directly or indirectly” some $37 million in kickbacks to Saddam even at a time that the United States and other members of the council had realized what Saddam was doing and began ordering price hikes to quash the kickbacks scheme.
This reported today.

and accused its chairman of maligning his good name.

Well he's guilty as sin in my book after reading that lol.

Pengwuino said:
and accused its chairman of maligning his good name.

Well he's guilty as sin in my book after reading that lol.
Hopefully it will all come out in time with investigation. It's disgusting how many people/countries have been involved, and by no means should this be excused. Regarding the OP, however, does anyone believe the U.S. and/or U.S. companies have clean hands when it comes to oil? My point is only to understand the premise of casting stones.

what investigation ? this investigation is a scam ! just learn more about it from different sourcess not from CNN/Fox disinformation network.

Wow stoned, I am starting to wonder what kind of sources you actually have that make you think this is all some sort of conspiracy theory.

Pengwuino said:
Wow stoned, I am starting to wonder what kind of sources you actually have that make you think this is all some sort of conspiracy theory.
I think his point is that an investigation by a US Senate subcommittee will tend to be biased. I'm inclined to agree.

Well any investigation is biased on this sort of scale. If it was done by the UN it would be even more biased as there the ones who helped facilitate the scam.

Pengwuino said:
Well any investigation is biased on this sort of scale. If it was done by the UN it would be even more biased as there the ones who helped facilitate the scam.
Quite a quandary. This scandal seems to be the result of anarchy. Yet if the US takes charge, who polices the police?

Well we shouldn't take charge, but we need to get to teh bottom of this scandal. Thats the problem with a 'world organization'. If they are corrupt... whos to stop them? They should hire a team of super sexy non-biased aliens from Mars to decide everything.

Tell me dude if congress or senate is sooo preoccupied with rule of law/corruption why the ****ing hell they don't investigate lies leading to Iraqi war and gangsters in White House ?? they are the bigest criminals/war criminals by Far ! THIS IS HUGE JOKE !
I tell you why because sentors themselfs are connected to the White House money spigot and the whole house of cards collapses.

PS.UN my friends is convienient scape goat on payroll of USA, if Washington wanted they could close UN in no time.

Yes, liberating 25+ million people is a huge crime and funding a dictator that let die/killed 1.3million people is worthy of a medal. We're still waiting for your sources of information of course...

Pengwuino said:
Yes, liberating 25+ million people is a huge crime and funding a dictator that let die/killed 1.3million people is worthy of a medal. We're still waiting for your sources of information of course...

When you say funding a dictator you mean America support and help to saddam in the 80's?

Attachments

• handshake300.jpg
    handshake300.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
Well when your the country next to a nuclear-mad man... your options are rather limited. But most people can't seem to understand that.

stoned said:
PS.UN my friends is convienient scape goat on payroll of USA, if Washington wanted they could close UN in no time.
That's pretty funny, stoned - if we're paying them, we're not getting our money's worth: they never listen! :rolleyes:

No need to close it anyway: they are just irrelevant.

2CentsWorth said:
Quite a quandary. This scandal seems to be the result of anarchy. Yet if the US takes charge, who polices the police?
Seems like it should be a tough question, but it actually isn't. When pressed to stop posturing and endorse an opinion (or become irrelevant), the UN generally agrees on issues such as the Iraq war. Before the US acted, the UN unanamously agreed, in writing, that Iraq was a threat to world peace. That so many countries are now complaining is funny and hypocritical, but not much of a concern.

And with what information did they come to this conclusion?

russ_watters said:
Seems like it should be a tough question, but it actually isn't. When pressed to stop posturing and endorse an opinion (or become irrelevant), the UN generally agrees on issues such as the Iraq war. Before the US acted, the UN unanamously agreed, in writing, that Iraq was a threat to world peace. That so many countries are now complaining is funny and hypocritical, but not much of a concern.

I think more funny and hypocritical is to support saddam hussein in the first time, give him inteligence data, aiding him and don't say nothing when he was actualy using chemical weapons becouse he was killing a lot of iranian, and that was good for America, and then totally turn around and say he is a cruel dictator (he always was, even when he was killing iran people and gassing the kurds.)
-----------------------------------------------------------
By the summer of 1983 Iran had been reporting Iraqi use of using chemical weapons for some time. The Geneva protocol requires that the international community respond to chemical warfare, but a diplomatically isolated Iran received only a muted response to its complaints . It intensified its accusations in October 1983, however, and in November asked for a United Nations Security Council investigation.

The U.S., which followed developments in the Iran-Iraq war with extraordinary intensity, had intelligence confirming Iran's accusations, and describing Iraq's "almost daily" use of chemical weapons, concurrent with its policy review and decision to support Iraq in the war . The intelligence indicated that Iraq used chemical weapons against Iranian forces, and, according to a November 1983 memo, against "Kurdish insurgents" as well

stoned said:
Again disinformation, Khodorovsky is getting jail sentence and all rats are spewing dirt to demonize Putin. Most of the biggest thiefs and swindlers luckilly escaped to Britain and Israel.
BTW.Putin is the best thing ever happened for Russia. We need someone like him here!
I admire Putin for staying cool when on all fronts he is attacked. Great Man !
Do you think there's one Russian tycoon that has accumulated their wealth in more respectable ways than Khodorovsky? (If you answer 'yes' then I guess you've never been to Russia)
Have you ever considered the possibility that there are other reasons for Khodorovski's imprisonment? Are you even aware of the political powers at work in modern Russia?
Maybe you should educate yourself a little more on this subject: Khodorovski's verdict (BBC)
Many analysts say the current trial is politically motivated and that Mr Khodorkovsky is being punished for his political ambition.

Before he was arrested by Russian authorities in October 2003, he had angered the Kremlin by starting to fund opposition political parties.

Mr Khodorkovsky has been in prison since October 2003 and during that time, the state has pursued Yukos for $27.5bn (£15bn) in back taxes.

When Yukos could not pay this last year, its main oil producing subsidiary Yuganskneftegas was forcibly sold off, ending up in the hands of Russian state oil firm Rosneft.

Rosneft is now suing Yukos - on behalf of Yugansk - for a total of $13bn in unpaid taxes, unpaid oil supplies and lost profits.

On Friday, a Moscow court upheld a $2.2bn claim by Rosneft against Yukos for not paying Yugansk for certain oil supplies.

Some commentators believe Rosneft may push for Yukos to go into bankruptcy as a precursor to enabling the Kremlin to take control of Yukos' remaining assets.
There you go - by prosecuting Khodorovsky Putin has taken over his entire oil business, and got rid of the biggest contributor to his opposition. Pretty simple to understand now, isn't it?
I'm sure you have no problem proclaiming the war in Iraq is about oil, even though you have to bend head over heels to support that claim, and yet, when there's political persecution and state sponsored theft in Russia you seem to disregard the most obvious explanations.
It looks to me like you're prejudiced.

El Hombre Invisible said:
And with what information did they come to this conclusion?
The same information we did: Saddam's decade of defiance following the 1991 Gulf War.
Burnsys said:
I think more funny and hypocritical is to support saddam hussein in the first time, give him inteligence data, aiding him and don't say nothing when he was actualy using chemical weapons becouse he was killing a lot of iranian, and that was good for America, and then totally turn around and say he is a cruel dictator (he always was, even when he was killing iran people and gassing the kurds.)
-----------------------------------------------------------
By the summer of 1983 Iran had been reporting Iraqi use of using chemical weapons for some time. The Geneva protocol requires that the international community respond to chemical warfare, but a diplomatically isolated Iran received only a muted response to its complaints.
As you note, the entire world is complicit there. But at least the US is now standing up and putting a stop to him. Better late than never.

russ_watters said:
The same information we did: Saddam's decade of defiance following the 1991 Gulf War. As you note, the entire world is complicit there. But at least the US is now standing up and putting a stop to him. Better late than never.
Better late than never, as if the US is standing up for anything? The US does what ever serves it's current interests. A real foreign policy based on reason and true betterment for the world isn't likely.

The UN was initiated by the US to be a sandbox in which to play with friends who would support US interests. This quickly went awry with fallout between the US and the USSR. Did the US really expect other countries to stand aside and not want a piece of the pie too? Oh the webs we weave.

Hey Yonoz !
I know about Russia quite a lot and I don't need to read any BBC biased reports, BBC is British state controlled information network.
Thanks anyway.

If Khodorovsky was not jewish you would not mind at all his trial is that right ?
There is one very interesting story from recent weeks connected to the Khodorovsky trial but not so obvious, read beetwen the lines:, Russian Duma voted on May 9 to forbid dual citizens the right to head the Russian Cabinet.
You know to whom is that directed at ? think.

Last edited: