Who Would Win: Moth vs Bee in a Jumpsuit?

• Thread starter jimmy p
  • Start date
In summary, the bee would win because it would be able to outrun the moth and it would be able to communicate with the other bees.
jimmy p
Gold Member
Ok for all you Dilbert fans out there...and i suppose anyone else who is interested, what are your personal answers to this ultimate question...here goes

If a moth fought a bee in a woollen jumpsuit who would win?

ps. the bee is wearing the jumpsuit

thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, my question is what exactly can a moth do? Nothing that I can think of. Go ahead and tie a gravel to the bee, and I'll still put odds in his favor.

Of course, I know nothing about Dilbert.

Well because the moth is bee is wearing the jumpsuit, the moth could attack it and chew the jumpsuit off (how i see it) but the if the bee stings, then both will die. its hard one and a pity that no1 wants to give input!

Ah, this question poses many problems. Such as how consticting is the woolen jumpsuit on the bee? How heavy is the jumpsuit? Because we know so little of the physics of bee flight it is hard to say how this addition may effect it's ability to fly.

Perhaps the weight may slow the bee to the same speed as a moth (I believe that bees normally fly faster than moths as the moths seem to have much higher wind resistance). However it may be so much additional weight that the bee can't fly at all, leaving it totally at the mercy of the ravenous wool-eating moth.

Now, a wise moth would just eat some of the jumpsuit, enough to get a good bite on the bee. However, moths do stupid things like fly into open flames, so I think we can safely rule out the possiblity of the moth doing anything wise.

Then we have the possiblity that the bee can sting through the woolen jumpsuit. If this is the case, the moth would have to rely on how constricted the movements are of the bee in the jumpsuit and its own ability to stay in front of the bee and away from it's stinger.

Perhaps the bee could coat the moth with honey and just stay clear of it long enough for a hungry bear to come and eat it.

The bee would win because he could call other bees to attack.

Bees swarm, moths don't.

Good thought, dduardo, however, much of bee communication is through posturing.

Perhaps the woolen jumpsuit would inhibit its motion to the point that a conversation between other bees may be like:

Bee Number 1 - "What's wrong with Buzz?"

Bee Number 2 - "I don't know. I think he wants us to steal second"

Originally posted by Artman
however, much of bee communication is through posturing.

I thought if a bee was in danger, it secreted something to call the attention of the other bees.

Originally posted by dduardo
I thought if a bee was in danger, it secreted something to call the attention of the other bees.

The secretion may get trapped in the wool of the jumpsuit, causing all the attacking bees to go after him. Unable to outrun the rest of the swarm he may get overrun and find himself getting stung repeatedly while trying desperately to convey the message "My God you idiots, Can't you see I'm a bee in a jumpsuit!"

Then again they may just go after the moth.

It all depends on who has the thickest layer of blame-deflecting bureaucracy, and who paid Catbert the most to rig the match.

duh!

Originally posted by FZ+
It all depends on who has the thickest layer of blame-deflecting bureaucracy, and who paid Catbert the most to rig the match.

duh!

Catbert would probably favor the bee so he could sell the franchise rights for the company that makes the wool jumpsuits.

Well it is a conundrum indeed. Dont u think it is unfair for the bee to communicate with the colony, shouldn't it just be a 1 on 1match? The bee would probably have a more hefty wallop than the moth would anyway. Your suggestion may be good but don't forget catbert is an evil HR director so he would probably see who is winning (eg, the bee) and attach weights to slow him down or something. Dogbert would probably run a book on it to make money!

1. What is the purpose of a jumpsuit for a moth or bee?

A jumpsuit for a moth or bee would serve as a protective layer against the elements, such as wind or rain, as well as potential predators. It may also aid in insulation and temperature regulation.

2. Who would win in a fight between a moth and a bee wearing a jumpsuit?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively as it would depend on various factors such as the size and strength of each insect, the type of jumpsuit, and the environment in which the fight takes place. However, generally speaking, the bee may have an advantage due to its stinger and potentially more aggressive behavior.

3. What materials would be suitable for a moth or bee jumpsuit?

The material used for a jumpsuit would need to be lightweight and flexible, allowing the insect to move freely. It should also be durable enough to withstand the wear and tear of daily activities and protective against potential threats. Some options could include silk or a synthetic material such as polyester.

4. Would a jumpsuit affect the flight ability of a moth or bee?

It is possible that a jumpsuit could affect the flight ability of a moth or bee, depending on the fit and weight of the jumpsuit. If the jumpsuit is too loose or heavy, it may impede their ability to fly effectively. However, a well-fitted and lightweight jumpsuit may not have a significant impact on their flight ability.

5. Are there any benefits for a moth or bee wearing a jumpsuit?

Yes, there could be several benefits for a moth or bee wearing a jumpsuit. As mentioned earlier, it could provide protection from the elements and potential predators. It may also aid in insulation and temperature regulation, potentially allowing them to survive in different climates. Additionally, a jumpsuit could serve as camouflage in certain environments, helping them blend in and avoid detection.