Does Your Cat Fear the Vacuum Cleaner?

In summary, the conversation is about a robot puppy that is both funny and cute. The cats have accepted it into their clan, and the puppies fear anything that looks like a machine and/or makes a noise.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Or is Ms. Mimi especially sensitive to its appearance and sound?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://store.yahoo.com/e-clec-tech/robopuppy.html

Puppy terminator...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha ha, funny! I am not sure whether a cat would react to it as it would to a dog, or to a vacuum cleaner. My guess is that the latter is likelier.

I used to have one of those robot dogs. it wouldn't listen and just staed up barking all night

it wouldn't listen and just staed up barking all night

Just like a real dog! :biggrin:

OMG the dreaded machine of death! Every one MUST run and hide!
When my puppy was very little the cats would grab her by the neck and force her into the safety of the underbed. Now when I open the closet, where the evil thing lives..quick glances are exchanged...run now...wait..be ready!

hypatia said:
OMG the dreaded machine of death! Every one MUST run and hide!
When my puppy was very little the cats would grab her by the neck and force her into the safety of the underbed. Now when I open the closet, where the evil thing lives..quick glances are exchanged...run now...wait..be ready!
That's both funny and cute, in a puppy kind of way :smile: Sounds like the cats effectively adopted her, am I correct? And what made the cats seek protection? Was it your vacuum cleaner or some monster unknown to lesser beings (the humans)?

I'm not sure the cats know what she is, but yes they have accepted her into the clan. The cats were not always scared of the vacuum, but I once got a rug stuck in it, and it made a horrid noise. After that, as soon as I open the closet door, they are ready to hide. Maybe they think they will get sucked up into it too?

Tee-hee. That's really funny. Mimi is afraid of anything that looks like a machine and/or makes a noise. Examples: ironing board (Martian war machine?), the dishwasher (machine for grinding up pots, plates, and silverware with its horrid clanky teeth?).

We tell our dog "Sucky is coming" and she runs to her pen to hide.

Artman said:
We tell our dog "Sucky is coming" and she runs to her pen to hide.

ROFL

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

1. Why do cats fear vacuum cleaners?

Cats are naturally curious and cautious animals. The loud noise and sudden movements of a vacuum cleaner can startle and scare them. Additionally, the vacuum cleaner may be perceived as a threat or predator to the cat.

2. Can I train my cat to not fear the vacuum cleaner?

Yes, with patience and positive reinforcement, you can train your cat to be less afraid of the vacuum cleaner. Start by introducing the vacuum cleaner in a non-threatening way, such as leaving it in the room without turning it on. Gradually increase the exposure and reward your cat with treats or praise for remaining calm.

3. Are there any tips for vacuuming around my cat?

It is important to make the vacuuming experience as stress-free as possible for your cat. Try to vacuum when your cat is in a different room or distracted with toys or treats. If your cat is afraid, try using a quieter vacuum or muffle the noise with a towel or blanket.

4. Can a fear of vacuum cleaners be a sign of a larger issue with my cat?

In most cases, a fear of vacuum cleaners is a normal response to a loud and unfamiliar object. However, if your cat's fear seems excessive or is accompanied by other behavioral changes, it may be a sign of a larger issue such as anxiety or a health problem. Consult with your veterinarian for further evaluation.

5. What are some alternative cleaning methods for cat owners?

If your cat is extremely fearful of vacuum cleaners, there are alternative cleaning methods you can try. These include using a broom, dustpan, or lint roller to remove pet hair, or using a quiet hand-held vacuum. You can also consider hiring a professional cleaning service to minimize the use of a vacuum in your home.