Can You Predict the Line Spectrum of a Mixture of Two Elements?

In summary, you would need to combine the spectra of the individual elements to get an accurate line spectrum of a mixture.
Soaring Crane
I understand that there are atomic spectra for the elements, but how do you predict the line spectrum of a mixture of 2 elements like a H-He mixture? Must you combine the lines from both elements?
Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Are you talking about something like fluorescence spectroscopy?
If I understood what you're asking correct I think one should get the the emission lines of the invidual elements and the intensities of the peaks tell you the relative compositions.

Hello,
That wolud be only in the case that there aren´t any interactions between both of the species in the mixture. Probably the energy levels of the species would became shifted by the presence of each other.

There also can be energy transfers between different states of the species. That would lead to new lines of absorption or emmision. Although I can´t tell you nothing about the case you´re talking about (H, He).
Preparation and study of atomic H is not easy. Interactions between them would depend on the conditions of the experiment: method of preparation of atomic H, pressure and expansion dynamics (rate of collisions), composition of the mixture.

The activity that will be done in class is similar to this one, except different elements will be used and a computer program:
http://www.smgaels.org/physics/home/lab/lab4/Spectral_Lines_Lab3.htm
But one of the prediction questions with the H-He is the same (#5).
I hope these examples might make my inquiry crystal-clear.
Also, I'm a bit lost on your explanations with the peaks since I'm a beginner. :blushing:

Last edited by a moderator:
altered-gravity : There's no atomic H in this situation.

Soaring crane : You should have said the mixture was H2-He. The interaction between molecules here is really small and can be neglected to first order. A mixture of two species will show (under these conditions) the spectral lines of both species. Are you able to answer Q3 in this lab ? Unless you can, the lab is essentially pointless.

1. What is a line spectrum of mixtures?

The line spectrum of mixtures refers to the pattern of distinct lines that appear when a mixture of different substances is analyzed using spectroscopy. Each substance in the mixture produces a unique set of spectral lines, which can be used to identify the components of the mixture.

2. How is the line spectrum of mixtures created?

The line spectrum of mixtures is created when a sample is heated or excited using an energy source, such as a flame or an electric current. The atoms in the sample absorb this energy and become excited, causing them to emit light at specific wavelengths. This emitted light is then separated into distinct lines using a spectroscope or other spectroscopic techniques.

3. What is the significance of the line spectrum of mixtures?

The line spectrum of mixtures is significant because it allows scientists to identify the components of a mixture and determine their relative proportions. This is important in various fields such as chemistry, astronomy, and forensic science.

4. How does the line spectrum of mixtures differ from the line spectrum of elements?

The line spectrum of mixtures differs from the line spectrum of elements in that it contains multiple sets of lines, each corresponding to a different substance in the mixture. In contrast, the line spectrum of elements consists of a single set of lines that are characteristic of that particular element.

5. Can the line spectrum of mixtures be used to determine the concentration of a substance in a mixture?

Yes, the line spectrum of mixtures can be used to determine the concentration of a substance in a mixture. The intensity of the spectral lines is directly proportional to the concentration of the substance in the mixture, allowing for quantitative analysis.