Finding K in Hooke's spring

• Thread starter shootyoup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the spring constant K using a linear equation. The equation y=1+.61x is used to find the force produced by extending a crossbow, and the values obtained are then used in the equation f=kx to find the spring constant. The conversation concludes that the gradient of the linear fit between F and x represents the spring constant, and this method is analogous to finding speed using the equation x=vt.
shootyoup

Homework Statement

This is a lab and we have data from extending a crossbow and the force produced. We graphed the data (Force v Extension) and find a line of best fit. Just using the y intercept and slope my equation is y=1 + .61x. How do i use that to find the spring constant K?

Homework Equations

k=1/2(kx^2)
f=kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I used my equation and entered in some values for x to get the force. Then used them in the equation f=kx. But the values i obtain are all different based on x and therefore not a spring constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
shootyoup said:

Homework Equations

k=1/2(kx^2)
f=kx

you have F=kx, so if you plotted F against x you'd get a straight line passing through the origin. The gradient would be F/x which is?

In your case, the gradient of your line would still be F/x.

Here's an analogous situation which might help you.
Say I draw a linear fit between position(x) and time(t). What does the slope represent? Also notice, x=vt, where v is the (constant) speed.

Does this help?

Ahhh ok thanks guys, didn't know it was that simple

I would first clarify the units of the data and the equation used. In this case, it seems like the units of force are being measured in Newtons (N) and the units of extension are being measured in meters (m). The equation for Hooke's Law is typically written as F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement. The negative sign indicates that the force and displacement are in opposite directions.

To find the spring constant, we can use the slope of the line of best fit in the graph of force vs. extension. In this case, the slope is 0.61. However, since the equation used in the lab is y=1 + 0.61x, we need to first rearrange it to be in the form of F = -kx. This can be done by subtracting 1 from both sides and then multiplying both sides by -1, giving us F = -0.61x - 1.

Comparing this to the equation F = -kx, we can see that the spring constant (k) is equal to 0.61 N/m. This means that for every meter of displacement, the spring produces a force of 0.61 N in the opposite direction.

In summary, to find the spring constant from a graph of force vs. extension, we can use the slope of the line of best fit. However, we need to make sure that the equation used is in the correct form (F = -kx) to get an accurate value for k.

What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that explains the relationship between the force applied to an elastic object and the resulting deformation of that object.

What is the formula for Hooke's Law?

The formula for Hooke's Law is F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is stretched or compressed.

What is the significance of finding K in Hooke's spring?

Finding the value of k in Hooke's Law allows us to understand and predict the behavior of a spring when a force is applied to it. It also helps us design and manufacture springs for various applications.

How do you find K in Hooke's spring?

K can be found by dividing the force applied by the resulting displacement of the spring. This can be done by conducting experiments and graphing the data to determine the slope of the linear relationship between force and displacement.

What are some real-life applications of Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law has various applications in everyday life, such as in the design of springs for mattresses, car suspensions, and door hinges. It is also used in the development of medical devices, measuring instruments, and sports equipment.